Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem...transfer case failure!???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big problem...transfer case failure!???

Well..not sure what failed, but I think it maybe the transfer case. I have 2004 Disco, 90,000 miles...new front prop and all of the suggested upgrades and fluids from this site. My wife and kids drove it to my parents house 330 miles away. It did not show any signs of an issue on the long part of the trip. The second day there while about 60 miles from their home while shopping I started to hear a light clinking noise at the rear, shortly after that it got louder and was very prevalent and a "gap" or play was very noticeable toward the rear. I had no way of checking out the problem where I was and decided it would be smart to head home cautiously. After about 5 miles of driving during slow down and then acceleration I heard another loud clunk then nothing. The Disco then started to feel like it was driving only on the front prop shaft and this also made a light whirling sound toward the middle near the transmission maybe a bit forward. I made it almost home, 50 miles or so, and stopped at a convenience store. I was leaving and reversed out of the parking spot, Put the car in drive and heard a terrible grind then nothing but a light clinking and then some more light grinding, truck did not move at all. The transmission was changing gears and it could be felt and seemed to act normal, the props however did not move in any gear and the truck could be moved by pushing even in park.

I was 330 miles from home where I could solve this issue and none of the small shops I called locally would touch it. I had it shipped to the dealer (cringe) at least they were only 7 miles away and I have AAA. I am now back home in Connecticut having boroughed a car from my family. We will be headed back next week to hopefully pick up the Disco. It is Sunday and the dealer is not open so I have no idea if they can even fix it this week.

Anyone had this issue? I would love some insight and I would also like to get an idea on repair cost. I normally do these things mayself but this time I am out of luck.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you check the u-joints of both the front and rear drive shaft?

When was the last time you changed the t-case fluid?

Did you try locking your t-case?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2003 Discovery had the rear differentials replaced just before our purchase and those symptoms are very similar to the issues noted on the Dealership's work order given to us by the previous owner.

The total cost was just over $1,100 by the dealership.

If the differentials are bad, now would be the time to put True Trac lockers.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Did you check the u-joints of both the front and rear drive shaft?

When was the last time you changed the t-case fluid?

Did you try locking your t-case?

Yup, checked both shafts and they are fine and connected. All of the fluids front to rear were changed 10,000 miles ago and filled and have not leaked. I did try locking the t-case, but had no luck. I am hoping whatever it is does not bankrupt me, lol.

--Mike

Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by borchera
Our 2003 Discovery had the rear differentials replaced just before our purchase and those symptoms are very similar to the issues noted on the Dealership's work order given to us by the previous owner.

The total cost was just over $1,100 by the dealership.

If the differentials are bad, now would be the time to put True Trac lockers.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.

If thought about it being the front and rear diff's and it still could be. What is the likelyhood of both failing though? Can that happen? That is why I am leaning toward the transfer case. I should have looked to see if the shafts were spinning when it was in gear, but I assumed it was the T-case. We'll see. If it is the diff's then I am looking at at least $2-3,000.00 then. What does a T-case go for?

--Mike

Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why did you make another stop when only 10 miles from your destination?
You couldn't wait 15 min for a BigGulp?

You said you tried moving the shift lever on the t-case and that the driveshafts did not move and that you could push it even when in park.
All of this leads towards the t-case being in neutral.
Usually when the t-case goes bad the bearings seize and the truck will not move at all.
What fluid did you put in it when you changed the fluid?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Why did you make another stop when only 10 miles from your destination?
You couldn't wait 15 min for a BigGulp?

You said you tried moving the shift lever on the t-case and that the driveshafts did not move and that you could push it even when in park.
All of this leads towards the t-case being in neutral.
Usually when the t-case goes bad the bearings seize and the truck will not move at all.
What fluid did you put in it when you changed the fluid?
The truck will move with the t-case in neutral or not. It made no difference. I only tried that after all else had failed so I don't think that is the issue. The truck also moves when in park. I did the t-case fluid according to the 60K plus service posted here on the forum and used RedLine Shockproof gear oil. I'll know on Monday and I will post what they find.

--Mike

Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is a t-case shifter problem.
If you put the t-case in neutral and the truck still moves your shifter is not connected, probably the cable is broken.
It is probably half way between a gear and neutral.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry.. I am a newbie here and not mechanically handy at all.. reading your story interested me because of its "nightmarish" quality.. anyway.. I happen to like video best.. it seems this guy has a similar issue as you.. hope everything works out..good luck..

Land Rover Discovery II Transfer case gear spin - YouTube

Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just had the t-case replaced on my '04. One of the bearings were going bad, and it was getting progressivly louder pretty fast.

For a used t-case, and installation, was a little under $1K. But that is an indie shop, not dealer prices.

Quick Reply: Big problem...transfer case failure!???