Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem...transfer case failure!???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rimasco
Sorry.. I am a newbie here and not mechanically handy at all.. reading your story interested me because of its "nightmarish" quality.. anyway.. I happen to like video best.. it seems this guy has a similar issue as you.. hope everything works out..good luck..

Land Rover Discovery II Transfer case gear spin - YouTube

Wow! just watched this. Very close to what it sounds like and the other symptoms. I just called LR and they are looking at it now. Thanks for posting this.

--Mike

Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Three Wheeling

OK. they just called. Rear diff exploded and some how my CDL cable is jammed up they think, but the shifter moves. $2200.00 for that and some other minor "while your in there" repairs.

--Mike

Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mj_duell
OK. they just called. Rear diff exploded and some how my CDL cable is jammed up they think, but the shifter moves. $2200.00 for that and some other minor "while your in there" repairs.

--Mike

Must be more work than the previous owner of our Discovery needed when the rear differential went. She paid just over $1,100 for the rear differential.

Could they install the TT locker? Looking at the price of the Land Rover rear on the previous owners service order, the rear differential is about the same price of the TT locker.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Might want to contact Paul Grant or another dismantler for a whole rear end.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Mudding

stupid newbie question here.. why did the rear diff explode?? how many miles do you have on that??

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The diff could explode from a couple of things, being over worked, not enough lubrication, wrong type of lubrication, abuse.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by rimasco
stupid newbie question here.. why did the rear diff explode?? how many miles do you have on that??

There is 90,000 miles on the truck. I purchased it with 82,000. My guess is that the last owner was not big on maintaining anything other than the engine oil. I changed out the oil in both diffs 8,000 miles ago and used Redline Shockproof. When I was draining the old oil I could tell there was not enough in there and that there was far to much metal silver in the oil. I only have to worry about the front diff now. They checked everything out and said it should be good, but without actually taking it apart it is an unknown. I may just change it out myself when I get the truck back.

The bill for the diff is $1600.00 installed. It is a brand new unit. The other stuff that needed doing, front pinion seal, front drivers side radius arm and a long list of little things like lights added up to the rest of the $2200.00. I am happy with the service actually and they were very helpful and went through the rest of the drive-train and suspension for me.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Three Wheeling

I live in CT as well . Do yourself a favor and put Paul Grant on speed dial. He's helped me immensely with parts and advice in my short oddessey already . He has tons of parts for D2's , as a matter of fact he was filleting a blue beauty today. Your truck is at the age where boned parts and a trusty local mechanic ( or yourself ) needs to be the alternative to the dealer. They are crack smoking fools at LR service. As a goof , when I picked up the one shot swivel grease, i asked them what a tranny filter would cost me ( Ive heard about the buggery that goes on there and wanted to verify ) ....$ 95 !!!! , Napa Auto parts ....$29. PM me if your in the Northwest / Hartford area and need some therapy.