Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG troubles?? I hope not!! But smoke everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BIG troubles?? I hope not!! But smoke everywhere!!

So, Its not really smoke, but more steam!

After shutting the LR down, it looks like there is fluids dripping from the throttle body.. I assume its the throttle body because its got the two throttle cables coming from it. Anyways, it drips out of there and on to the manifold and steams everywhere. I don't know if that is the only place it is coming from yet.

I didn't have this problem up until about a week ago when I added the bottle of water wetter into the system. I did that a week after I did the flush and new fluids. All was fine with the flush and new fluids alone.

Any thoughts on my delima?? The car doesn't run hot at all, no rough accelerating or anything like that... Just a little embarrassing when you pull up to work and have tons of smoke coming from under the hood of such a beautiful vehicle!! Oh, and I am privileged enough to park RIGHT UP FRONT!! Might have to drive the Porsche for a couple of days.. don't want to, been loving the Land Rover, 3 weeks in and don't want to get out of it, but PLEASE HELP ME!!!

One more quick note, there is no coolant getting into the oil, I have been checking all of the fluids religiously and all are fine, i have had to top the coolant off a time or two, but nothing too serious!!

Thanks and lets figure this one out please!!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The throttle body has a heater plate in it. There are 2 smaller hoses running to it. Take them off and put them together unsing a small piece of tubing. This will bypass the heater until you can get a new seal kit for it. Common place to leak, and the kit will be around $20.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010K.cfm

or just swing by the dealer. It will be about the same when shipping is added.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The throttle body has a heater plate in it. There are 2 smaller hoses running to it. Take them off and put them together unsing a small piece of tubing. This will bypass the heater until you can get a new seal kit for it. Common place to leak, and the kit will be around $20.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010K.cfm

or just swing by the dealer. It will be about the same when shipping is added.

This wont mess anything up right, all will be alright and i can drive it like that for a week or so?? Until i get the time to fix it right??

thanks for the reply!!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Camel Trophy

Yup, you will be fine. Just make sure you fill the coolant up properly and don't have an air pocket from the coolant loss.

a few people have bypassed and never re-connected. It is to keep the throttle plate from freezing in cold weather on the highway.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Yup, you will be fine. Just make sure you fill the coolant up properly and don't have an air pocket from the coolant loss.

a few people have bypassed and never re-connected. It is to keep the throttle plate from freezing in cold weather on the highway.

I live in south Texas so I don't see that being a problem LOL!! I may just give that a shot tonight and see if that solves the problem! I will report back and let you know what happens my friend!

Thanks again for the reply!!

Take it easy!!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Ha ha, yeah, I didn't see your location. You should be fine with the bypass. I am one to keep things original if I don't see a benefit, so I would fix it. I do know that several knowledgable Rover guys have left it bypassed and have had no ill effects.

Good luck with it.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Let us know how it turns out!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks "okdiscoguy"!!!! I'm a new member to the site and found it to be very helpful!!!! I having this very same problem as "Shane83" (in addition to a few others so far...) but I've replaced the gasket once already. Its beginning to leak AGAIN and I'm confused I let the throttle body sit after I applied the new gasket/gasket sealer for at least 20 mins when I made the last repair before re-installing it. After a few weeks later it starting to leak again but in a different spot. I'm going to use the bypass as a temporary fix as I live in Colorado and won't be able too for long but thanks for the info. I'll order the new part in the meantime and a stronger sealant and see what happens....... #landrovermakingmegobald

Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Default just use the kit.

Originally Posted by landrovermakingmegobald
Thanks "okdiscoguy"!!!! I'm a new member to the site and found it to be very helpful!!!! I having this very same problem as "Shane83" (in addition to a few others so far...) but I've replaced the gasket once already. Its beginning to leak AGAIN and I'm confused I let the throttle body sit after I applied the new gasket/gasket sealer for at least 20 mins when I made the last repair before re-installing it. After a few weeks later it starting to leak again but in a different spot. I'm going to use the bypass as a temporary fix as I live in Colorado and won't be able too for long but thanks for the info. I'll order the new part in the meantime and a stronger sealant and see what happens....... #landrovermakingmegobald
Just use the kit with the gasket and it will seal fine. You maybe creating your own problem adding sealer.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling

The kit comes with a new plate but you'll probably want to resurface the TB side by wet sanding on 1000 grit laid on a hard level surface. Also a good idea to replace the hoses - especially the long plastic one that goes to the expansion tank. I just used heater hose.

With any luck you'll get it fixed and coolant will start leaking out of some other place (like a head gasket) just kidding, that kind of stuff only happens to me

Quick Reply: BIG troubles?? I hope not!! But smoke everywhere!!