Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big WTF moment with my 99 D2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big WTF moment with my 99 D2.

I'm Very Angry (to put it nicely). I have been tearing apart my center console to make a DIY lever for my CDL, (since its a 1999.5 I have that option) its not that hard just takes a bit of time. small price to pay to have a CDL. finally got down to the 13 rivets that have to be drilled. its the last step before getting to the CDL bolt. Got them drilled, time to move the plate to uncover the hidden secret CDL bolt.... IT,S NOT F-ing there!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe some rich idiot must have bought this new (it was bought new in Scottsdale AZ) had it a few years, and possibly wanted to see what "LOW" range was and then took in on the highway and blew the transfer case. So he/she took it to the dealer and had it replaced while the mechanic was like, ooooh, I need that T-case for my crappy 03 without a CDL, and swapped them.

Unless there is something I'm not seeing (which it would be pretty hard to mistake once the shifter and all the crap is out of the way) I am positive my 1999.5 Discovery 2 has the updated T-case... Which blows!!! So "not that much work for the payoff" turned into "WTF, all that work for nothing" plus a bunch of words that I'm not sure are frowned upon in this forum??? That's how my first day of 2014 went....AWESOME!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Sucks. And yep, you should see it....pass. Side, little nipple coming out of a little plate. You can just replace the nose of the tc. Not the whole job. Doubt that is comforting, at all.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Well dusty, that is more comforting than buying a whole T-case. But yes it still sucks that it's not there in the first place. Any idea what that would cost me to change the nose? I don't mind working on it at all, I actually like too. I have a full shop setup. What I don't have anymore is the cash for the parts. Lost my good jobs to the economy, and injuries... a better job is coming soon. But anyway, I'm just rambling and I have to got put the rover back together...

Dusty... on a side note, every time I read a post of yours... in my head I hear Bubbles speaking your post. It cracks me up!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Best way would be sourcing from a local salvage yard. Dunno if our friendly horde of rover reaping dismantlers just sell nose assemblies or not. Worth a check. You could pm Paul grant, drillbit, tarheel, others.

....got to go feed my little kitties.

Last edited by dusty1; 01-02-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

DiscoBeau, don't stick rivets back use Rivnuts instead and fit screws in place of the rivets - job done and easy access later. Small Rivnuts can be set with an ordinary pop rivets gun as well.

Dusty cracks me up as well - his humor is pure magic

Kick back and have a beer and it'll all seem better afterwards.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM
4wd Low

I think GBR will sell just the nose to the transfer case for the CDL upgrade. I'm having them do my 03 next month.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That is what happened to me as well. Opened it up to find nothing. Turns out my '01 did have it originally, but was replaced under warranty with non-CDL model. Makes you feel real warm inside huh?

I bought the front output assemble from Paul Grant. Freaked me out when the delivered a HomeDepot bucket with a shipping label on it. Was not sure what I ordered that would come in a bucket. But hey, orange is my favorite color, so was nice to have a bucket. I was going to install it, but after doing some research, I decided to get it installed. Will Tillery did that for me. THANKS WILL!

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 01-02-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Too late now, but it would have taken a few seconds to slide under the truck and reach your hand up on top of the transfer case to check.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Drifting

I guess I never really even thought of the possibility of it not being there... and I knew once I got to the cdl I was going to fabricate some sort of lever to actuate it. So I just tore it apart. It's fun to me. Besides, now my middle console is getting a nice makeover to make it a bit more functional plus look a bit more MANLY lol. I'm taking pictures and will post a thread when its finished. Hint.... Flat black paint and Diamond Plate. It already looks good and I'm only about half way finished. =)

OffRoadFrance. That is an amazing idea!!!!!! Unfortunately, it will have to be a must for the "NEXT" time I drill the rivets out.

Thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Can you crawl up under the rover and see if it has CDL?
I have an '01.

I don't really care if it works or not.
I never go off road.
No snow where I live.

But, now I am curious if I have CDL or not.

Quick Reply: Big WTF moment with my 99 D2.