Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biggest tyres to fit +2 lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

2 inch lift with 265 65 R18s on it

Attached Thumbnails biggest tyres to fit +2 lift-stu-post-lift.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by markdeg
wow, that is almost 32". Do you think I would need to change the transfer case to a 1.4 then? Are there any other components that need to be changed due to excessive wear?
Mine are 265/75R16 (31.5 diameter) and I liked the change from stock. Personally, the low range seems quite low on these vehicles and bumping up the size made off-roading in low more enjoyable (in my application, mostly muddy/loose dirt terrain). In loose sand, I found low range miserable, could not get enough wheel spin...and in high range, it really struggle to turn the wheels from a dead stop. I can see the really low gearing in low range being an advantage if you were rock crawling or something...but I have no personal experience in this area, just assuming.

Brian.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran 285/75/16 BFG KM2s with a 2” TF lift. I had slight rubbing at full turn that was completely eliminated with the addition of the winch bumper. My additions to the Rover happened a little out of sync because I purchased a few things as they came available. I found a really good deal on the tires which I had planned for later in the build. The previous owner of my Rover had just installed the 2” shock and spring kit only a few miles before I purchased the vehicle so I had a tough time deciding what to do about a lift as I wanted to go 3”. I decided not to remove the kit he had installed and decided to machine spacers to gain extra lift. I went with 1.25” in front and 1” rear. May decided to do different later but it is working for now.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies! Made up a good idea of what to fetch... Now on to look for a good deal 😀

Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Mudding

@alpinacsi was the extra 1 inch spacers required? and did you have to change the transfer case?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling

The spacers were not required with the winch bumper but it did rub on my stock fender liner with the stock bumper. Not bad and only when making a full lock turn. Could have been solved with a little trimming of the plastic. I wanted 3" of lift anyway so that rubbing was solved with the bumper change first and then helped further with the spacers. If you need spacers: I have them available and listed in the for sale section.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling

I did not make and gearing changes.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
255/70R18, 265/75R16 should work with zero rubbing. Also if you fit the 265's and have rubbing at full lock (more often in reverse) check your turn stops. Some D2's have short ones and some have longer ones. I personally did what I used to do with all my Jeeps = made custom length turn stops. On my 02 Kalahari I got new bolts and was able to find a collar that was the perfect length giving me the most turning radius without rubbing or sacrificing my turning radius. You could always just use washers to get the exact length as well. I got the new bolts at my local Ace Hardware Store.

You could probably run some 275/65R18's as well with some possible lower front bumper trimming.
Sadly one of mine sheered off when removing to put in shorter ones or have them turned down a spot... i was in middle of ding a ball joint and steering arms ect replacement lol im not sure I want to spend hrs in there trying to drill out the old threaded section... sheesh lol

Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Mudding

so got the new 32" tyres and went straight for an offroading trip in the Nebrodi Park in Sicily. I can say that it works well most of the time but on the road it is hard to pull out, even on first gear when it is a steap hill... I have a manual gearbox btw

i think i will have to go for a 1:4 transfer box

Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I've got 2 inches of lift, 265/75's seem fine. No rubbing of any kind, granted...I've only done some mild wheeling so far. I've got about 20.5" from center of wheel to wheel well lip on front and 21" in rear. Have a winch, bush guard and small skid plate in front.

Wish I'd have gone with 285's, but I got a smoking deal on these 265's...so they will stay until wornout.

Brian.
Hi. Where did you get your skidplate? Custom made? No availability in South Africa as far as I've searched.

Quick Reply: biggest tyres to fit +2 lift