Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Rack

Can anyone recommend agood site to find a bike rack, preferably one that is attatched to the back door rather than the roof.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 AM
4wd Low
Default RE: Bike Rack

I have a Thule hitch carrier that I like a lot. Thule also has the carriers that hook to the back door also. I'm not sure if they fit Land Rovers, as I've only seen the roof top or hitch ones on Land Rovers. I'm sure some perusing of the site will reveal that though.

here's the link to Thule's back door racks:

www.thuleracks.com

Yakima also sells some good bike racks, I just don't have much experience with their stuff..

Sam

Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Mudding

I own a bike shop, and a Disco. The recessed hitch makes it tricky to mount some bike racks. Spare tire mounts just stink, end of story. For the record, I absolutely refuse to put my bikes on a rack that forces me to rest my top tubes on those dorky arms. A) Not all bikes have top tubes that fit. B) I hate having my bikes ($6000+ each) rattle around, banging into each other.

Thule's T2 works if you re-arrange the dirrection the bikes sit on the rack. All of the hitch mounts that I like somewhat impede your ability to access the rear door.

Seras makes a rack that works pretty well. Hollywood actually makes a cheaper rack that works well, but Hollywood isn't exactly known for their quality.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
6th Gear

okay thanks for the advice... but i'm still a little confused with all of the options out there... newBrover, do you think you could list your top two or three models?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Mudding

I'll make this easy.
http://www.saris.com/p-234-cycle-on-pro.aspx
They even show this rack on an LR3. I mounted one on a Disco II and it seemed to clear the tire just fine.

The style that I'm not fond of would be like those like the Yakima Kingpin or any other that forces you to drape your bike across those two arms. Booo. The racks such as the Saris version as well as the Yakima Hook up will fit any bike without any damage to the frame.

However. If you plan on being on any dirt, gravel or grungy roads with your bikes on your car, get them on the roof.