Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bird chirping under the hood and bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bird chirping under the hood and bad gas mileage

G'day gents. I am new to the forum and am an american living in brisbane australia. Got a 96 Disco II SE, with 140K kilometers (about 100k miles). She has sat for about 6 months and after replacing the old battery there is a knocking and chirping ( sounds like a bird chirping)under the hood when I give her gas. The feul economy is shocking (about 160 miles to the tank), and a loss ofpower. Before the six months she ran ok, but now it runs like she is sick. Out here the mechanics can take you fora real ride. I have some mechanical experience and can accomplish medium to hard tasks, just dont know where to start. Just need some help in shooting me in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: bird chirping under the hood and bad gas mileage

Are you running on old stale gas, do you have a check engine light on?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling

this is going to sound stupid but i had a noise that i would call a bird churping and it was the belt. i had just done some repairs and got oil on the belt, sounded like i had a flock of seaguls (like the reference to the 80's band) under the hood. It sounded like no other car that needed a belt i will tell you this much.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Mudding

I also agree with what Disco Mike is asking about the SES light and if you are running on old gas.

I have that chirping sound and I've been told it's either the pulleys or belt tensioners. I've had my Serp. belt replaced within the year, so I know it's not that.

Hopefully that can help!

:]

Happy Rovering!!

John-Robert

Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 AM
3rd Gear

This is probably my third tank of gas. i also put an injector cleaner and a octane booster in it but still chirping and knocking. also here in oz you can get standard out of the pump 98 octane, some places you can get 102 octane.the srs light is on but i thought that had to do with the saftery restraint system. i thought it might be the injectors or maybe a sensor that is telling the feul system to push to much gas. it running extremly rich. any help will do guys. thanks for your posts so far.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 AM
3rd Gear

also if the belts werent tight would it cause it to loose power and run rich. doesnt sound like the belts are squealing

Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

pull all of your plugs one at a time and make sure they all look the same. If you have ticking/ chirping, you may have a burned exhaust valve. Valve doesn't seat all the way causing the ticking, compression leaks out of the valve into the exhaust causing chirping. Just a thought...

Does your check engine light come on when you start the truck and then turn off once running? Just making sure the light isn't out. That will tell you a lot if it is on.