Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Plastic Windshield Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black Plastic Windshield Shroud

There is a part under my windshield that is a black plastic shroud. It's the part right under the windshield where the two windshield wipers come out. Mine is just broken in several places and looks really bad.

First of all, does anyone know the right name for this part? Second, can you let me know where I can buy this part inexpensively? Is this part worth replacing or will this happen again over time? Has anyone here replaced this and can you give me the procedures for changing it?

Many thanks for your response

Al G
2003 D2 SE7

Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenum Fresh Air Intake Discovery 2. $260 RoversNorth PLENUM FRESH AIR INTAKE DISCOVERY II, RNN973, JAK000010PMA - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North

Used ones will probably be weak and breakable
New ones are expensive and expensive to ship

I went with repairing mine with JB Weld and truck liner. It's part of the windscreen, gutter, uprights water proofing system. Once it was all airtight, then it got all loose and allowed water to get in. Now it's all repaired and marine siliconed.
PLENUM FRESH AIR INTAKE DISCOVERY II

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought one for 15 bucks in a junkyard. you can glue it backtogether with windshield adhesive on the back side. get a friend i had to pull my hood and then it was easy.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
Plenum Fresh Air Intake Discovery 2. $260 RoversNorth PLENUM FRESH AIR INTAKE DISCOVERY II, RNN973, JAK000010PMA - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North

Used ones will probably be weak and breakable
New ones are expensive and expensive to ship

I went with repairing mine with JB Weld and truck liner. It's part of the windscreen, gutter, uprights water proofing system. Once it was all airtight, then it got all loose and allowed water to get in. Now it's all repaired and marine siliconed.
PLENUM FRESH AIR INTAKE DISCOVERY II
SLang,

Thanks for the link. That is definitely the part I was referring to. Darn! Didn't know it was that expensive! $260.00!!! I think you are saying you decided to repair yours with JB Weld and truck liner. What is the truck liner for? Where do you buy it and how did you use it to repair the Plenum Air Intake?

BTW FYI once you Slang told me the correct name for this part, I was able to find the procedure in the Rave manual. Pages 80-21 and and 76-2-16. The manual said to first remove the side finisher - windscreen (otherwise called the A Pillar Molding) and then remove the Plenum Air Intake.

Regards

Al

Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used black weatherproof silicone on mine.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MC04DII
I used black weatherproof silicone on mine.
I googled weatherproof silicone and what comes up is silicone sealant - e.g., Loctite, etc. We're looking for some type of coating application right? I found a quart of truck liner at my local Pep Boys automotive store for $29.00 - think this should do the trick if one wants to repair and beautify the plenum air intake part

Last edited by aguison; 03-31-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Drifting

I used black silicon on mine where it's warping away from the glass. I like the junk yard option. Do you have to remove the hood to remove it ?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bob Jones
I used black silicon on mine where it's warping away from the glass. I like the junk yard option. Do you have to remove the hood to remove it ?
Bob, what's this black silicone thing? I am also wondering about whether the removing the hood is needed. Do the black pillar moldings on the left and right also need to be removed?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Mine is so evenly cracked perfectly between the two wiper blades, i though it was supposed to be that way and was a factory seam. Its really hard to find a replacement one from the junk yard. Trust me i have tried. I am also interested if someone want to post a tutorial about this black silicon or JB weld.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I just got a tube of clear bathroom silicone sealant and used it to glue the little bits that broke off around the hood hinge (water gets in there anyways and drains out, I wasn't looking for waterproofness). I also used it to seal the crack that formed down the middle and where it meets the windshield. I just put it on and used my finger to smooth it out.

Here in Texas I don't think there is a single cowl that isn't cracked thanks to the summer heat and sun. Some day I'll get around to buying a new one but my fix seems to work for now.

Quick Reply: Black Plastic Windshield Shroud