Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Plastic Windshield Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black silicon is basically the same as caulking. You can pick it up in any auto center. I ran a bead under the edge that rests on the glass and used some small bags of top soil to weigh it down while it dried. I dont have any major cracks in the plastic, i would use j b weld for that.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

winshield adhesive is a great product it works great. if your like me ( kinda redneck ) get some it hides well costs just a little and wont win any bueaty contests but its cheep, lexon is a great product too holds stuff on, it all comes down to do u want new or good enough . i am happy with the 20 ft rule if it looks good from 20 ft i am happy

Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! This is another example of an inferiorly designed Land Rover part. I find it very coincidentally amazing there's another person in the forum with a perfect crack right in the middle of the air intake between the two wipers which looks exactly like mine and I thought it was like that from the factory.

I am trying to mend mine with JB Weld but am not so optimistic the JB Weld will fix it, specially that break in the middle. Mine is split perfectly and in two pieces so I usd JB Weld and mended both pieces with another piece of plastic to reinforce it + JB Weld. We'll see how this goes....

The $260 price from Rovers North is one of the lowest out there but I sent an email out to some junk yard and salvage places to see if they can do a lot better. If unsuccessful, will bite the bullet and buy a new one.

There is still the question: Do you need to remove the hood to install the Air Intake Assembly?

Thanks

Al

Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it for < $100 on ebay.

Yeah it's silly for the thing to crack but you have to consider these trucks are getting older. 10 years is a long time for that bit of plastic to bake in the sun.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Mudding

There is a company called Miami British (miamirovers.com) which sells both OEM and replacement version which is only $199. It's made of fiberglass. What happens is the hood hinges push against the cowl when you raise the hood and over time stresses the part which eventually breaks. That's when you have a tall mechanic or driver raising the hood a little too much. Combined with the heat and years of exposure to the elements it eventually cracks. The part # is JAK000010PMA.

I'm trying to repair mine with JB Weld but it's broken in 4 places (one is the middle where is split into two) and if this doesn't work, then will be spending the $200 to replace it.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post

Al

Last edited by aguison; 04-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
There is a company called Miami British (miamirovers.com) which sells both OEM and replacement version which is only $199. It's made of fiberglass. What happens is the hood hinges push against the cowl when you raise the hood and over time stresses the part which eventually breaks. That's when you have a tall mechanic or driver raising the hood a little too much. Combined with the heat and years of exposure to the elements it eventually cracks. The part # is JAK000010PMA.

I'm trying to repair mine with JB Weld but it's broken in 4 places (one is the middle where is split into two) and if this doesn't work, then will be spending the $200 to replace it.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post

Al
I just installed the Miami British fiberglass part. It is not a direct fit. You have to do some modifications and at $200 you should not have to do that. The holes don't line up perfectly. Otherwise it is strong.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I just installed the Miami British fiberglass part. It is not a direct fit. You have to do some modifications and at $200 you should not have to do that. The holes don't line up perfectly. Otherwise it is strong.
Ralph, thanks for the heads up. What year is your Discovery? What type of modifications did you need to make to the fiberglass part? Do you think the fiberglass version is more durable than the plastic one?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
Ralph, thanks for the heads up. What year is your Discovery? What type of modifications did you need to make to the fiberglass part? Do you think the fiberglass version is more durable than the plastic one?
It is definitely more durable but will scratch because it is fiberglass so it will show white underneath the paint. The holes for mounting over the wiper motors are not quite centered and the holes that mount to the frame did not align as well. Plus the plastic tabs that mount to the windshield are to thick. I had to cut them off in order to get it to lay flat. Also I had to drill out the mounting hole on one side some in order to get a perfect fit. You will also need to either reuse the finisher seal or purchase a new one.

Last edited by ralphobell; 04-02-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: add step
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i jb'd and fiberglassed it like i did the grill. a new part plus shipping to pr makes me want repair stuff id normally replace. also, i'm convinced that this piece will break again.

the truck bed lining is a good solid paint and i used it in lots of spots. it may harden the part up a bit but it won't offer any real additional structural integrity.

this is sort of a step in my roof rail, sunroof, windscreen waterproofing.

Attached Thumbnails Black Plastic Windshield Shroud-2012-02-18_10-35-29_140.jpg   Black Plastic Windshield Shroud-2012-02-18_11-02-12_492.jpg   Black Plastic Windshield Shroud-2012-02-23_11-24-15_441.jpg   Black Plastic Windshield Shroud-2012-02-23_14-30-17_952.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (12-19-2016)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ralphobell
It is definitely more durable but will scratch because it is fiberglass so it will show white underneath the paint. The holes for mounting over the wiper motors are not quite centered and the holes that mount to the frame did not align as well. Plus the plastic tabs that mount to the windshield are to thick. I had to cut them off in order to get it to lay flat. Also I had to drill out the mounting hole on one side some in order to get a perfect fit. You will also need to either reuse the finisher seal or purchase a new one.
Ralph, what year is your Discovery? Did you consider cutting out the area of the part where the hinges press on to it to relieve the stress and stop the part from breaking again?

Quick Reply: Black Plastic Windshield Shroud