Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Plastic Windshield Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
i jb'd and fiberglassed it like i did the grill. a new part plus shipping to pr makes me want repair stuff id normally replace. also, i'm convinced that this piece will break again.

the truck bed lining is a good solid paint and i used it in lots of spots. it may harden the part up a bit but it won't offer any real additional structural integrity.

this is sort of a step in my roof rail, sunroof, windscreen waterproofing.
Good job! I'm impressed with the repair! Thanks for the pics!

My cowl broke into two pieces and there is nothing that will glue both pieces together. The curved shape of the cowl makes it very difficult to clamp together, and JB Weld does not hold them strong enough.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup...probably a bit much but i cut the piece in two cleanly and created a flexible middle section out of my mud guard. put the logo upside down but who cares.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
Ralph, what year is your Discovery? Did you consider cutting out the area of the part where the hinges press on to it to relieve the stress and stop the part from breaking again?
Its a 2000. I did not modify it in any other way other than to make it fit properly. I don't believe it will be as brittle as the original due to being all fiberglass. Time will tell.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Mudding

I was able to find a used Air Intake cowl fro $125 at a local parts dealer here in Los Angeles.

They did a good job cleaning the part, it looks brand new.

So question for you guys: Would spraying this part with Rustoleum plastic paint or some sort of polyurethane coating make it more weather-resistant? Or just re-install AS IS?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get it? I live in LA and would like to also get one.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Mudding

Seth

British Car Service in Inglewood

Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kicker is that the same part for the LR3 and LR4 (which look similar, but are not an exact match) are only $79 at AB. Not sure why the D2 equivalent costs almost 3x as much.

Mine is cracked int he middle, but I am not convinced that the center crack can actually let water into the truck. I think it would just roll out from the hood/engine compartment. I used some windshield adhesive of some sort (different post on here) to glue the rubber seal along the top down to the cowl and glass. That is where the water seems to be able to get through.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling

If the plenum is cracked can water get in the inside and run out on the floor? Mine is cracked bad and has a large gap between it and the windshield. Water gets in under the dash somehow and is running out on the carpet, Windshield has a tendency to fog up a little in the morning when ac is on and it has rained.
Help please.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by slabrat
If the plenum is cracked can water get in the inside and run out on the floor? Mine is cracked bad and has a large gap between it and the windshield. Water gets in under the dash somehow and is running out on the carpet, Windshield has a tendency to fog up a little in the morning when ac is on and it has rained.
Help please.
Slabrat

I'll assume you have a LH drive vehicle. Right under the plenum on the passenger side, there is hole measuring 12 x 2" which is the air intake. If the wetness is coming from the passenger side, then water must be getting in there. I think that duct actually goes through the blower motor, so that can be bad if that's the case. Other than that, I do not know of any other openings that the plenum covers.

Al 2003 D2

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by aguison
Slabrat

I'll assume you have a LH drive vehicle. Right under the plenum on the passenger side, there is hole measuring 12 x 2" which is the air intake. If the wetness is coming from the passenger side, then water must be getting in there. I think that duct actually goes through the blower motor, so that can be bad if that's the case. Other than that, I do not know of any other openings that the plenum covers.

Al 2003 D2
Yes LH drive I will check that Friday. It rained as hard as I have seen in July this weekend. Water was really streaming in I think from the ac vent ??. I hope this is resolved soon There is a good chance t will rain some more this week. 99 is jacked up in the garage so I cannot put it in there yet.

Quick Reply: Black Plastic Windshield Shroud