Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black rubber dressing that actually lasts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

I applied the Cerakote last weekend and it came out pretty good. A little streaking on the door sills but mostly went well. Will have to see if it lasts. My wheel arches were coated with a textured product by the previous owner. I don't know the brand but it greyed out really bad. I should have taken before photos.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Found this photos showing the grey wheel arches. As mentioned this looks like a herculiner type product but I don't know the brand. The texture does not look bad but greyed out terrible.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Nice looking Disco!

The following users liked this post:
dswilly (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The unaltered wheel arches are textured... I know mine are and I've never put anything on them other than Back to Black stuff. Mine get grey like that too... Let us know in a month or so how that looks.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 819 Likes on 538 Posts

I think they degrade in the sun and probably came from factory new but all I've seen have pock marks or are majorly textured. I took them off both of my discos, just a cleaner look.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by dswilly
I applied the Cerakote last weekend and it came out pretty good. A little streaking on the door sills but mostly went well. Will have to see if it lasts. My wheel arches were coated with a textured product by the previous owner. I don't know the brand but it greyed out really bad. I should have taken before photos.
Truck looks great. I bought the CeraKote stuff too but haven't opened it up yet. Or decided which vehicle to put it on. How was the application process? The instructions seem pretty serious about not getting it on anything you don't want it on, including your skin.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
The unaltered wheel arches are textured... I know mine are and I've never put anything on them other than Back to Black stuff. Mine get grey like that too... Let us know in a month or so how that looks.
I used black plasti-dip on my wheel arches back in 2015/2016. It has held up really well but think I'll do another coat this summer. I'd recommend it.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ahab
Truck looks great. I bought the CeraKote stuff too but haven't opened it up yet. Or decided which vehicle to put it on. How was the application process? The instructions seem pretty serious about not getting it on anything you don't want it on, including your skin.
The process was pretty easy. To be honest I did not take as much time as I could have and it came out well so far. I followed a youtube video I think by Eastwood where the guy back-wiped after applying to even it out. Worked well for me. The product is very wet and can run. Keep a lint-free wipe handy. On the passenger side roof rail I can see a few runs in certain light. Likely I didn't wipe it down quick enough. I think that rail was also in the sun when applied which they say is a no no. I was too lazy to move the truck for just that. I didn't tape off anything and was careful not to get it on the paint etc but probably did in a few spots. Not sure what will happen there, time will tell. I can't see it on the paint or other surfaces if I was sloppy. I used the whole kit (19.99 on Amazon).

I assumed my wheel arches were coated but if they are textured stock maybe not. PO also textured the trim under the headlight which is why I assumed the wheel arches were as well.

Time will be the real test. If it looks like crap in a month I will call it a fail.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I’ve been using the cerakote in Florida sun for over a month. Water still beads, no fading. It will eventually wear (instructions say 200 washes) but it will be interesting to see if it peels or just gradually fades. So far so good.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here’s a close up of the herculiner texture. I have it on my roof, sliders and bumpers. It’s the spray can version - applies very well evenly but if you don’t put clear coat with UV or ceramic coating, it will fade.

Quick Reply: Black rubber dressing that actually lasts