Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black sludge around rear windows?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black sludge around rear windows?

Anyone else have an issue when they wash their car you get a endless supply of just black crap coming out from the seal around the top and side rear glass? I am assuming its just the sealer stuff in their deteriorating so curious on thoughts or ideas. I was thinking of just putting some black sealant from the local hardware store in their but wasn't sure. Everytime I wash the car it comes out endlessly it seems and end of getting smeared every where and then hard to get off. With my car being white it drives me crazy

Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwilks
Anyone else have an issue when they wash their car you get a endless supply of just black crap coming out from the seal around the top and side rear glass? I am assuming its just the sealer stuff in their deteriorating so curious on thoughts or ideas. I was thinking of just putting some black sealant from the local hardware store in their but wasn't sure. Everytime I wash the car it comes out endlessly it seems and end of getting smeared every where and then hard to get off. With my car being white it drives me crazy
Some of this is just dirt and dust that accumulates in the mastic recesses and some is aging mastic slowly disintegrating and shedding. Be careful what mastic you use around the Alpine windows and rear fixed glass as it needs to be high temperature and flexible, typically boat marine mastic sealant, expensive yep, but much better in the long term and worth the extra. Any boat chandlery will stock this stuff.

When you re-mastic the glass back in dig out some, not all, of the old mastic first and then clean up with either cellulose thinners or brake cleaner fluid but be very careful of the existing paintwork and mask it up with impermeable tape and sheet first.