Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Bleed or not to Bleed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default To Bleed or not to Bleed

I would like to change my pads by myself for the first time but every auto parts stores suggestions are different.
1) 1st suggestion was to open the brake fluid container once I squeeze the cylinder, to let air or fluid back.
2) 2nd was to loosen the bleed valve (which I have not seen yet) once I squeeze the cylinder to let fluid out.
If I do the 1st, it will damage the ABS as mentioned. So what really is the proper way to do it when you are by yourself?
Thanks

Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I replaced my pads in the last 6 months. The master cylinder reservoir is vented. I used a c-clamp to retract the cylinders and checked the reservoir each time and never overflowed. I have read that you can push brake down and hold with large brick or something and open bleed valve one at a time to bleed out fluid for total fluid change, just check and refill reservoir during and after back ones and after bleeding front ones. Release the brake and top off. Maybe someone will chime in or correct me.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I would like to change my pads by myself for the first time but every auto parts stores suggestions are different.
1) 1st suggestion was to open the brake fluid container once I squeeze the cylinder, to let air or fluid back.
2) 2nd was to loosen the bleed valve (which I have not seen yet) once I squeeze the cylinder to let fluid out.
If I do the 1st, it will damage the ABS as mentioned. So what really is the proper way to do it when you are by yourself?
Thanks
Joe is right. I've changed my brake pads three times in my 16 years of ownership and never bled the brake fluid or opened the bleed valve to put new pads in. My antilocks work just fine, but have not worked at various times for non related reasons (three amigos, caused by sensors and switches). I do take the cap off of the reservoir. I just compress the piston very slowly.

The only time I've ever bled my brakes was to change the fluid.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-07-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

every auto parts stores suggestions are different
What parts stores? Counter jockeys not best to ask for wrenching advice.

Last edited by number9; 03-07-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

not needed when changing pads, but it is needed at some point.
brake fluid gets old and collects moisture, makes a big difference when you completely flush the system

Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Something to consider when putting in new pads is, loosen the caliper bleeder screw then retract/push the caliper piston in, the bleeder will let the overheated dirty crap brake fluid out of the caliper. You don't want dirty old fluid anywhere near your ABS pump and or the rest of the system...This is how I do it anyway...

Old 03-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

That is a very good point. In the old days you could use a c-clamp and compress the calipers the worse that would happen the master would overflow. if you do the same today you take the chance that you could possibly damage ABS unit.

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Something to consider when putting in new pads is, loosen the caliper bleeder screw then retract/push the caliper piston in, the bleeder will let the overheated dirty crap brake fluid out of the caliper. You don't want dirty old fluid anywhere near your ABS pump and or the rest of the system...This is how I do it anyway...

Old 03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
That is a very good point. In the old days you could use a c-clamp and compress the calipers the worse that would happen the master would overflow. if you do the same today you take the chance that you could possibly damage ABS unit.
That's how I did it for years! Then the cars got smarter.....

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't bleed the brakes.
Way I do it- was

Take off the wheel
Put a screw driver in between the pad and Rotor (old pads).
And wedge the screw driver in there.

Spread the pads from the rotor by pulling on the screw driver.

DO NOT top up your brake fluid before the brake pad change job.

Because when you retract the pistons in the calipers by spreading the pads with a screw driver, you will get fluid returning to the master cylinder repository and it may over flow onto the floor.

When you get the pads out you can use huge vice grips or a crow bar and a metal block to seat the pistons below the caliper bore.

Then put on anti squeal paste.
And on with the new pads.

When the new pads are in., pump the brakes until the pistons come out and
press the pads against the rotors.

Then back out of the garage slowly.