Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleeding the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding the brakes

I was wondering is anyone could help me with bleeding the brakes. Can someone please walk me through the process and what i need for the job. I have the 3 amigos problem and thought i would start with the least expensive fix before i head to land rover and fork over 1100. I also checked with landrover and found out that my shuttle valves were replaced under warranty two years ago. Is it possible they could be bad again or should i just put my money on the modulator rebuild. Thanks for your helpcaleb

Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: bleeding the brakes

Hold on the brake bleed.
Do your brakes squeak? If you do a panic stop above 30 MPH can you feel the ABS pulsate thru the brake pedal?
Get back to me.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Mike , my brakes are perfectly fine . I would only bleed them if i installed the shuttle valve kit. just wondering what i would be getting into. i am three hours from the nearest LR dealer

Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Until you hav3e someone verify the actual problem, why throw money at it?
Do your brakes pulsate on panic stops???? If so you don't need a shuttle valve. If not, which one arte you thinking about using, the $100 kit with a 80% failure or the $800 one that you don't even know if it is needed?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling

I have the three amigos and have had LR guys tell me i need the 800 dollar part. THey hooked my car up and received the codes that tell them my modulator is screwed. But how can i really know it not just the shuttle valveJimMy brakes do not pulsatethey operate fine

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are supposed to flush your brake fluid every 24 months, it is a cheap and easy place to start and wont hurt anything.

Buy a couple feet of ice make water tubing from True Value or the Home Depot, a 10mm box end wrench, 2 quarts of DOT4 brake fluid and a empty gallon milk jug or washer solvent bottle.

Start at the rear passenger wheel, break the bleed screw loose and then put the tubing over the nipple and put the tubing into the empty jug, loosen the screw and have a friend press the brake pedal to the floor and hold it, retighten the screw.
Let off the brake pedal, loosen screw, press brake pedal to floor, hold and retighten screw.
The engine does NOT need to be running, after every couple of pumps refill the brake fluid resevoir with the new fluid.
Keep bleeding each wheel until the fluid that comes out is as clean as what is in the bottle.

After all is said and done start the truck and make sure that you have good brake pressure, then take your old brake fluid in to be recycled.
Total time will be around a hour.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

If they are not pulsating on a panic stop, you are in trouble.
Have you considered buying a good guaranteed used one from, http://www.roverlandparts.com/absmodulators.aspx
for $795 and installing it yourself?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Disco Mike, or anyone else: If i get the 895.00$ modulator kit and try to instal it myself how do i clear the codes and lights on my dash? Do i need to go to a LR dealer. ALso do you have any instruction on installing it? Also , i tried going t roverrenovations for a rave cd but could not find it do you know were i could get oneThanksCaleb

Old 11-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 11-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

You would need to have a shop clear the codes.

Quick Reply: bleeding the brakes