Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleeding brakes - what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding brakes - what to buy?

I am going to bleed my brake system soon on my '02 Disco II. What is a good bleed kit (or whatever) to get for this job? I have never done this before. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: bleeding brakes - what to buy?

You dont need a bleed kit, justa catch pan, some water line for a ice maker, an open end wrench that fits your bleed screws, 2 quarts of DOT 4 brake fluid and a friend.

Loosen the bleed screw, put the water line on the nipple and direct it into your catch pan, have your friend push the brake pedel to the floor and hold it there, tighten the screw, repeat, top off the brake fluid resevoir as needed, do this at each wheel until clean fluid comes out of each. It will take several times at each wheel to get clean fluid.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree. I just want to add a little more detail. Get your wife or buddy in the car to run the pedel for you while you run the wrench at each wheel. You give the directions. Make sure you tell him NEVER,EVERto take their foot off the pedel until you instruct them to do so. Reason is, you don't want to 'suck' air back into the system.

I take a soup can (or fruit can) and only cut the top 1/2 way. Fold that half down. Then poke a hole in the remaining 1/2 and put your hose into it. If the hose is slightly larger, it won't fall out and one less thing to worry about. What I do is put a wrench on the bleed screw firs, then put the hose on the bleed screw nipple. Crack it loose, and then tighten. Tell your wife/buddy to "pump it up" (several pumps) and hold it. Open the bleeder screw and have the person in the vehicle tell you when the pedel reaches bottom. Then tighten the wrench. Have them pump it up again with a few pumps, then hold. Then repeat the steps. Start at the brake furthest from the master cylinder. That's the Right Rear, then the L rear, then the Front R. then Front L. Keep going till ya get the air out.

Once completed, ya usually want to go around the vehicle again. Make sure to check the fluid level and DON'T let the master cyl run dry.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Three Wheeling

The RAVE manual tells me to go in a different order on the wheels. Why is that?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

usual order is supposed to be furthest from the master and work closer...not sure why the rave manual would differ from that, Disco Mike would probably know.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You will also need a turkey baster from the battery dept. of your local auto parts store. This will be used to suckk olld the old fluid from the master cylinder before you start bleeding the brakes, that way you will start with fresh fluid.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Mudding

I think I understand but could someone clarify how you go about topping off with fresh fluid? Do you suck out the old fluid from the resevoir first then refill it, then refill again after each bleeding of a brake line, at least enough so that the resevoir maintains some fluid in it? Is the final objective to have clean fluid in the resevoir after bleeding all lines? Thanks inadvance, I'll also check my RAVE disc.

02 Disco, W/80K

Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Brakes work beautifully.

New brake booster works beautifully.

New plugs and wires work beautifully.

The truck has never driven so well.

Not bad for my first attempt at automotive repair of any kind.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you got it. Take the money you saved and go fill up.... =)

Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 AM
5th Gear

Two stupid questions… Should the vehicle on or running when you do this procedure? Does the ABS and brake boost function when everything is off?

Quick Reply: bleeding brakes - what to buy?