Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleeding coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

You might try this method, when the truck engine is cold, remove the expansion tank cap, then remove the bleed screw. Use a small funnel, do not under any circumstances use your wife's kitchen tools, don't ask me how I know, use the funnel to fill the bleed hole, it will rasie the level in the expansion tank. When the expansion tank is close to full, replace the expansion cap and continue to fill the bleed hole until full, then replace the bleed screw. That method has worked the best for me. I used to be an advocate for raising the expansion tank and filling it that way, but I have found that filling the bleed screw works better.

On a related note, I recently changed the heater core hoses and associated hose clamps. Be careful to use quality hose clamps. A few days after I changed the hoses, I noticed coolant leaking, I checked the hoses and found that one of the screw-style hose clamps had a very sharp inside edge and when it was tightened, cut the hose and caused the leak. I have never had that kind of problem with the european style hose clamps.

Also make sure that the heater core hoses are positioned correctly.

Good luck. Phil

Last edited by ljdiscovery; 11-28-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice I knew there had to be other ways to figure this out,I will try this tommorrow and see if I have any luck. I appreciate the replys. And I know about using the wifes kitchen utensils. Ha

Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks ljlandrover. i posted the same problem yesterday. The advice given in my thread did not work on my truck (engine running, heat on, pour coolant to fill reservoir etc etc)
i just tried it your way and i now have no waterfall sound and heat is blasting out real quick now.
i used a bendable drinking straw to pour the coolant in the bleed hole

Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today when I got off work I tried what spike 555 said and it worked pretty well I can hear a little of a waterfall every now and then ,so Im gonna do it again in the morning. That is a major improvement to me from what I have been dealing with. Thanks again guys