Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block Pressure Test - Coolant Block Off Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Block Pressure Test - Coolant Block Off Plates?

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to tear into the rover this weekend. Before I order all the parts, I want to make sure I don't have a cracked block or slipped liner. Does anyone kow where to purchase the coolant passage block off kits? Motorcars LTD sells a kit for $250, but I dont need the special water pump. I just need the coolant passage block offs. I suppose I can make them myself, but I wold rather purchase if not too expensive.

BTW - I have exhaust gasses in the coolant and a misfire on cyl 4. No choice but to break her down. If the block is fine, I will be replacing the head gaskets, valve job, coil packs, oil pump gears and timing chain. If the block is bad...who knows...new car time?

Thanks for any replies!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Motorcars LTD also rents that kit.
You do need the special water pump, because that is what they use to block the water passages on the front of the block. They pulled the impeller and weilded the hole closed.

If you look closely you can make it yourself with some flat stock, rubber gasket material and a couple of quick connect from an airline.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get both heads "cleaned and checked" at a machine shop. If they are warped, that would cause exhaust gases to mix in with the coolant. Could also cause a misfire if coolant is getting into cylinder # 4. Then I recommend an aluminum/composite gasket that Felpro makes. I don't remember the part # off the top of my head, but I can look when I get home and get it to you. I also used ARP head fasteners. Again, I can look up that part # and give it to you if you would like. If need be, then you can have your heads resurfaced. I also used Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket to coat both sides of the gasket to eliminate any invisible impurities. If you check your heads and everything comes out fine, then you won't be doing "double" work if you do your gaskets, and you are still getting exhaust in your coolant, misfiring, etc. I just had to replace my engine earlier this year and this is what I did when I got the other engine in. I went from the original 4.6 down to a used 4.0,...but they are the same block and it marries up perfectly to the Xmsn. It also runs greeat.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
Motorcars LTD also rents that kit.
Now that is good to know! I wll give them a call. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Baja

your welcome

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dan Wallace
You should get both heads "cleaned and checked" at a machine shop.
Most definety. I have the machine shop lined up already.

I also used Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket to coat both sides of the gasket to eliminate any invisible impurities.
Shouldn't they be fitted dry?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Baja

Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket on the block side, the heads should be true so there is no need.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The machine shop I use uses the copper spray a gasket on both sides. drowssap is correct, your heads should be true, if they were resurfaced, but spraying both sides couldn't hurt,...especially since the aluminum/composite gasket that I used could have invisible impurites. I haven't had any problem with any leaking since I did mine, and that has been a few weeks. I will still give you the part #s for the ARP bolts and the Felpro gasket when I get home this afternoon. Dan.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Winching

I will still give you the part #s for the ARP bolts and the Felpro gasket when I get home this afternoon. Dan.
These are the stud bolts, correct? How did they work out for you? I've heard mixed reviews.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

#4 is not near a water jacket. I read about someone on this BB who did all that head gasket work and that he still had water entering. from one of the middle cylinders.

He said his block is toast.

I don't think there is any way for coolant to enter #4 except for a cracked block.

You may waste a lot of money and time and hard work.

Sorry man. But, I will be sad to hear you went through all this work and then are unhappy with the result.
If you had said - #1, #2, #7 and #8 then fine.
But middle cylinders... Not good.

Quick Reply: Block Pressure Test - Coolant Block Off Plates?