Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

that's a good idea I think I will steel it.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
that's a good idea I think I will steel it.

How do you STEEL an idea?? Must be pretty fancy metal work there.

Haha j/k.

It is a good idea. I am gonna STEAL it too.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK! Here is an update: The head gasket was blown on as suspected, on the front leading edge between the coolant channel and the cylinder No. 1, allowing large amount of coolant to leak into the cylinder. One thing I did notice in during the last moments of driving was sound of water slush in under the dashboard, a phonomenon described by few users in the past. Somehow, it must be the faulty cylinder blowing exhaust gases during explosion stroke into the cooling system, which could create such effect in the cooling system, actually in the heater under the front passenger dashboard.

Another update: I complained about the inferior parts purchased from British Pacific used for the last repair, and, here is another one: The front oil seal was leaking after about 20 k miles. Now have taken it out and replaced it with OEM P/N: ERR 6490.
The seal in question from British Pacific has a number stamped on it: ERR 1632. I did little research on it and found out it a it a correct number for: Front crank seal - RANGE ROVER to 1985. I do not understand why it was in the kit intended for Disco 2, 1999 to 2004. Anyway, the Disco shall be back on the road this coming Saturday, including about $ 2K of replacement parts.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you spend $2k on parts for? I just replaced my headgaskets, v belt, air filter and did a coolant flush last week for about $300. I used 4 cans of carb cleaner to clean my intake, plenum and the tops of the pistons. It is amazing how much better she runs now. The miss at idle is gone. I had already done the induction and throttle body cleaning with Seafoam and was surprised to see how dirty the inside of the intake and plenum were when I took them apart for the head gasket job. I plan to post pictures and describe my experience soon.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Mudding

Well, I finally did get the time to finish the job this past weekend. She started up alright after done. But, I immediately sensed some problem. She runs rough. Hooked her up to OBDII scanner and here are the codes:

P0204 Injector Circuit Malfunction Cylinder 4
P1590 No description found in the database
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire

I do not know why the last one showed-up twice.

So, I have to do some more digging to figure out what went wrong.

Grussel, about the $2K expenditure, yes, it's correct. The Disco sees some driving down to Mexico, and this day and time the last thing I want to find out is my wife calling me from south of the border that the car is no go. I could post a page long list of purchased parts, but just to give you a hint, the most expensive items was a power steering pump, P/N: QVB500080E @ $ 326.93.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 PM
TReK

Did you spray your fuel injector connectors out with contact cleaner before you plugged them all back to the wiring harness? Sound like either you missed clipping one together on or it got fubar'd somehow. Or maybe it's just clogged.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Mudding

No, I did not clean the contacts. I may have to remove the intake plenum to do that. It seems the injector code and misfire code on Cyl. 4 are related. If if there is no injection, there is no fuel and the cylinder will not fire. Sounds logical.

Regarding the P1590 code, I found out it's unrelated to the engine, but to my Tres Amigos that are presently on, which are next on the repair roster.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
TReK

Yes 1590 is a rough road fault.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Mudding

Yep, that's going to be another challenge. But hey, we disco fans are hardcore, aren't we?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Yes 1590 is a rough road fault.
Lipadj46, do you know if this code pinpoints to a specific component of the ABS / Traction Control systems that may be malfunctioning?

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket