Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BlueLake Offroad bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default BlueLake Offroad bumpers

Does anyone have any experience with BlueLake Offroad out of Dunwoody Georgia?

Here is a link to the front bumper I am considering. It is the one on the Yellow Rover.

Front Winch Bumper Land Rover Discovery II: BlueLakeOffroad

Thanks

Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Looks good but everything seems to be an additional cost. Taking a look at putting together one like on the yellow disco, if you have it assembled it is $965 plus shipping. I was really surprised to see that having a assembled bumper was an extra cost option.

I priced it with a winch tray, recovery points, light bar and assembly. I didn't add the $100 for having it painted when it arrives.

It seems like there are much nicer options at that price point.

For $688 plus shipping you can have the D2 platnium motorsports bumper from Lucky8. You could also checkout the TerraFirma bumper, ARB or TJM for nearly the same money or less.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, the price really climbs fast when you have one that's actually usable for anything other than a bumper.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I really like the Terrafirma, but no driving/fog lights. Not sure how much of a pain it would be to drill out the Terrafirma and put in my own lights.

Wife really doesn't like the Platnium motorsports bumper. She doesn't want all those bars. She doesn't mind a low profile bar like on the BlueLake yellow discovery, but that is her limit. She likes the Terrafirma the most, but wants fog lights in the bumper.

The Shadow is top on my list right now, but shipping from the UK jacks the price up over $300.

http://www.paddockspares.com/shadow-...ng-lights.html

Last edited by cybercop; 04-21-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, just ordered the Terrafirma. Should have it by Monday next week.

Any recommendations for lights I should recess into the the Terrafirma?

Baha Squadrons and Rigid Duallys are way to expensive. but I don't want to put cheap Chinese LEDs in either. Looking for a good recommendation.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

For LED lights there seems to be expensive and cheap. Not much in the way of middle ground from what I have found.

Nice choice on the TF bumper it's nice looking.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

You might want to look at one of the 32 curved combo light on ebay. Works as floods or spot and fits over the winch loction

Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
You might want to look at one of the 32 curved combo light on ebay. Works as floods or spot and fits over the winch loction
Not a bad idea, but that will cover my needs. My wife likes the fog lights and how they illuminate everything up close and to the sides without blinding the guy in front of her.

Any ideas for just simple fog lamps? Maybe I could rig a mount for the stock ones in there?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Not a bad idea, but that will cover my needs. My wife likes the fog lights and how they illuminate everything up close and to the sides without blinding the guy in front of her.
And what's she going to do if she were to see something?

It's a common misconception that having a lot of light right in front of the vehicle during normal driving is a great thing. It's not. In fact it's more dangerous because you can't avoid something at normal road speeds if you see it just 20' in front of you plus it degrades your vision for things further down the road illuminated by your headlights, things that you could possibly avoid if you see them in time.
It "feels" safer, but is actually more hazardous.

Fog lights are meant to illuminate close to the car, and not project very far to prevent reflective glare, but you're driving slowly and can take corrective action if something is in front of you.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by antichrist
And what's she going to do if she were to see something?

It's a common misconception that having a lot of light right in front of the vehicle during normal driving is a great thing. It's not. In fact it's more dangerous because you can't avoid something at normal road speeds if you see it just 20' in front of you plus it degrades your vision for things further down the road illuminated by your headlights, things that you could possibly avoid if you see them in time.
It "feels" safer, but is actually more hazardous.

Fog lights are meant to illuminate close to the car, and not project very far to prevent reflective glare, but you're driving slowly and can take corrective action if something is in front of you.
Never thought of it that way. Interesting.

Would you have a good recommendation for 3" fog lights, besides fab'ing a bracket for the stock ones.

Quick Reply: BlueLake Offroad bumpers