Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Body Lift

Surely just lifting the bodyshell is a pointless exercise without fitting much bigger diameter wheels. The offroad limiting factor has to be the axle/differential height relative to the ground. If one merely lifts the bodyshell the chances of grounding the axles and suspension remain the same unless one increases the height significantly unless it's merely looks some are after. If one increases the rolling diameter by say 2" and axle effective lift is only 1" but is worthwhile. The problem comes in grounding a larger wheel on the fender (wheel) arch. So yes one needs to lift the body but then needs to increase the F&R strut articulation to accommodate. What comes first the chicken or the egg, I suppose one lifts the bodyshell and then increases the rolling wheel diameter but then risks binding up the articulation unless the Panhard and Watts are modified accordingly. It's a quandary. After this many other factors come into play such as drive shaft articulation angles etc.

Surely it would be easier and cheaper to buy a diesel 'monster truck' with all the right kit already fitted?

Just some thoughts on the subject.

When modding your truck in the US do you have to inform your insurance company of such mods as the C of G has also changed considerably and is less stable on tarmac?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had driven my Ford Explorer with 3 inch bodylift for many years, offroad and onroad. It allows bigger tires with minimal alteration on the stock suspension system. Do they sell bodylifts for LR1 and LR2?

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The offroad limiting factor has to be the axle/differential height relative to the ground. If one merely lifts the bodyshell the chances of grounding the axles and suspension remain the same unless one increases the height significantly unless it's merely looks some are after. If one increases the rolling diameter by say 2" and axle effective lift is only 1" but is worthwhile. The problem comes in grounding a larger wheel on the fender (wheel) arch. So yes one needs to lift the body but then needs to increase the F&R strut articulation to accommodate. What comes first the chicken or the egg, I suppose one lifts the bodyshell and then increases the rolling wheel diameter but then risks binding up the articulation unless the Panhard and Watts are modified accordingly. It's a quandary. After this many other factors come into play such as drive shaft articulation angles etc.
Yes, the point of lifting the body is to provide more room for tires(and articulation, to a lesser extent).

You're just spoiling for a fight :P

Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jwigum
Yes, the point of lifting the body is to provide more room for tires(and articulation, to a lesser extent).

You're just spoiling for a fight :P
Not at all jwigum, just curious .............. as always ........... it's the engineer in me