Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Repair Guesstimate

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Repair Guesstimate

I am looking at a 03' Discovery II S (my first LR) and am comfortable taking on the known (at this time) mechanical work but am a novice at best with body work ...

I'm hoping this pic attaches to this post - The back passenger side taillight area has taken a hit along the way that I would likely want to pay to have taken care of.

Can someone offer a rough guess on the cost of a reasonable quality repair?

Thanks !

Attached Thumbnails Body Repair Guesstimate-img_5442.jpg  
Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DFMAGuy
I am looking at a 03' Discovery II S (my first LR) and am comfortable taking on the known (at this time) mechanical work but am a novice at best with body work ...

I'm hoping this pic attaches to this post - The back passenger side taillight area has taken a hit along the way that I would likely want to pay to have taken care of.

Can someone offer a rough guess on the cost of a reasonable quality repair?

Thanks !
that, for an 03 Disco... 2 things- 1, you can take the tail light assembly off and get to the backside of the dents pretty easy, 2- it may buff out (jk), and 3- no idea about cost estimate.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

It doesn't look like the paint is damaged/cracked so look for a Paintless Dent Removal/Repair place in your area. And most do this type of repair mobile. I had a very similar dent on a BMW X5. And I had no time to fix the metal myself, so a Paintless Dent shop did it at my house for $125 (took about 1 hour). Price will depend on where you live, but it was worth every penny.
Make a few calls and you will be glad you did. That's an easy fix. Good Luck!

Last edited by OverRover; 09-15-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover

It doesn't look like the paint is damaged/cracked so look for a Paintless Dent Removal/Repair place in your area. And most do this type of repair mobile. I had a very similar dent on a BMW X5. And I had no time to fix the metal myself, so a Paintless Dent shop did it at my house for $125 (took about 1 hour). Price will depend on where you live, but it was worth every penny.
Make a few calls and you will be glad you did. That's an easy fix. Good Luck!
X1 .......... any dent on a corner ain't the best place but if all goes well it should pull out OK. Take some photos and punt around some paintless ops.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

the crease wont come out completely, but the majority of that concavity can be fixed from the back side, in your driveway. PDR place shouldnt charge you more than about $100 to do what they can on it.

Paint is most likely going to crack at that sharp crease at the base of the light, but you have to pop out the dent regardless so might as well give it a shot.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:45 PM
7th Gear

Well, your on the other side of the pond, but I'd guess that would be about a 6-hour repair on the quarter panel. Can't tell if the tail lamp is broken. If so, add $250 for a new OEM tail lamp or maybe $100 for a knockoff. Id say with a labor rate of $50.00/hour, your looking at about $800 or so. I'm taking into account dropping the spare tire, blending into the rear gate and masking off the quarter glass, etc. This is just a guess. I'm no expert though

Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM
5th Gear

Thanks all - That corner ding will be a problem for someone else to deal with as the the deal I was working towards on that 03' Disco S did not come together for me so I'm back in the hunt for a 03' or 04' Disco (any trim level) at a "value price" - Don't want to buy one local to me in the Upstate New York Snow Belt where the roads are salted so will need to travel to see one or buy one based on service records and pictures - Just need to be patient (not easy !)