Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch 09693 Ignition Wire Set

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch 09693 Ignition Wire Set

Our 2001 DII threw a cylinder 7 misfire fault (P0307) the other day so I thought it would be a good time to replace the plugs and wires. Sure enough, the #7 plug was obviously the culprit so with all new plugs I tested the engine and the cylinder 7 misfire returned. So I pressed onto the more difficult task of changing out the ignition wires.

I followed the thread(s) about accessing the coil without removing the IM and #6 was the first wire I removed. I had purchased a Bosch 09693 wire set and tried comparing the old #6 wire to the wires in the new set. Unfortunately none of the new wires matched the length of the old #6 wire, and the new wires are not marked for the cylinder to which they connect. I believe the old set (STI?) are 8 mm and the new Bosch set is 7 mm which may account for the differences in length. I removed the #2 and #4 wires also but, again, could not find a matching length among the wires in the new set.

I cannot find online any specs on the Bosch set that indicate which cylinder should be connected to which wire. It's Saturday so I cannot get any help from Bosch until Monday.

In the new set, as best I can tell, the two shortest wires are identical in length and the remaining six are all different lengths each progressively larger. I could guess which goes where based on the coil layout and the plug locations but I would rather not take any changes.

Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Bosch 09693 Ignition Wire Set-2001-dii-plug-7.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Mudding

hi what i have done in the past is lay all the wires out shortest to longest and then as i pull each wire match it up generally allocate the longest for the front cyls and work my way back or to the front which ever is easier i have forgotten

Old 05-11-2015, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

@celto 4: That is my plan but I was hoping I could find the lengths of the OE wires so that I could know which wires are which from shortest to longest. I am trying the installation without removing the IM which means I will have more than one wire out at a time and, possibly, what I guess is the right wire might actually be better applied in to different spot.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dmned
so with all new plugs
Any suggestions?
I would just start with the short ones and work my way up. If the wires are still on the truck I would label them before you take them off and then match up the new wires.

I know you did not ask about this but I would return the plugs you have if you bought the recommend replacements and get the cheap champion plugs that are for a Disco 1. At the auto store use a 96 disco with a 4.0 for reference. The champion plugs do fantastic in these motors and they are cheaper to boot.

The following users liked this post:
T.J. (05-11-2015)