Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bowler Ecu Tune for Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think everybody took the original post wrong. I never expected a Bowler tune to produce 175 extra horsepower. Honestly I was looking into someone that can tune that truck to get some extra horsepower with a ton of bolt ons. The reason I picked Bowler was because they actually use these engines in their race trucks and even build a bolt in 300hp Thor engine. I would honestly buy the engine if I could afford it and the shipping to the US.

I love that people have jumped in and added some options as far as other companies that already offer tunes and please feel free to contact them if someone wants to see if they will offer a group buy. I however am going to hold out to see what I hear from Bowler.

The Thor engine has a ton of potential that remains untapped due to the factory tuning. Even Tornado states that even adding a cam, port and polish and other bolt ons will net little gain due to the restrictive nature of the Bosch computer. I just want to unlock that potential before I start throwing money into add ons.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I've had a lot of success employing dyno tuned fueling maps into motorcycles that really improved throttle response and filled in holes in the power curve. I don't see why it wouldn't be any different for the D2 if someone like Bowler were willing to put in the effort to come up with the initial maps.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling

So I heard back from Bowler and they do not offer a direct tune for the D2 and do not plan on offering one. They did point me in the direction of JE Engineering which apparently was the company that did the original petrol tunes for the Wildcat that the Thor engine was offered in. So the waiting process starts again. I have contacted the JE Engineering rep that Bowler provided to see what they may offer, and once again I have let them know we may be interested in a group buy.

My question at this point to you guys is, do we want to wait to see what JE Engineering has to say or do you want me to try and contact Tornado Systems and see what they may offer us in the way of a group buy?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I'd say contact both at the same time. That way we can see who would have the better price for the quantity and quality of services provided.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok so I have contacted both JE Engineering and Tornado Systems, trying to set up group buys. Both companies are based in the UK. I will wait to see what they offer but I have asked for graphs showing power gains and any additional information we would need to know for the tune. I honestly have no idea what JE offers except for the fact they are the company that did the tuning for the Bowler Wildcat. Tornado Systems offers three distinct tunes for our ecu though. They offer an economy, normal and performance tune.

Once I get responses I will start a new group buy thread for which ever company we choose to go with. I will also post here the findings for each so people can let me know which company they will prefer.

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (01-06-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Just a heads up I am currently talking to Mark at Tornado Systems trying to set up the group buy for the forum. These guys are located in the UK and the ecu does have to be sent to them for tuning. Please send me a pm or reply if you are interested so I can let Mark know how many systems we will plan on sending so we can get the best price possible.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

is this only for 03/04 DII or does this include 99-02 with the 4.0 as well? Also what will expected turn around time be since your truck will be DOA until the ecu comes back

Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I sent him a computer for him to look at, and it got there quite rapidly, using just USPS First Class Mail. I think maybe 3 or 4 days? I was actually quite shocked how quickly it got there. I'd imagine two weeks would be the safest bet. Or buy a $25 computer from the internet to use while you send one off (if you've got a way to re-sync it, like a nanocom, etc).

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Can they provide some graphs for the different tunes?

Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Waiting to here back on how long you would be without the Ecu. This will be available for both the 4.0 and 4.6. You will have the option of economy, performance or a middle of the road tune. He said the graphs don't really do justice to the tunes because of running dyno in third and the automatic kick down always chiming in. But I can see what graphs are available.

Last edited by thesoundguru; 01-07-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Bowler Ecu Tune for Discovery 2