Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A box full of problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default A box full of problems

What I can't get my head around on here and many other forums is the amount of people that buy a 4x4 truck 'cos it was cheap' only to find out it's riddled with major defects and what was bought cheap is now very expensive to fix. It's not a unique phenomena to here, it's universal and invariably the new owners obviously never either checked the truck carefully or maybe lacked sufficient specific knowledge and obviously never took an experienced LR person with them to checkout the truck. It's sad that so many new owners are disillusioned before they have owned the truck more than a couple of days when so much could be avoided by using the forum first or taking someone knowledgeable with them rather than impulsive or impetuous purchase of some elses 'bag 'o nails' they are pleased to have got shot of. Most 4x4's are complex cars with the potential of costing big $$$$ to fix and it's certainly not like buying any old city car. It might well be worth those contemplating buying a D2, which is at least 11+ years old now, consulting the forum first rather than after they have bought their 'dream truck' box of problems. Just a thought.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

responsible, educated, and researched purchase.......that just doesn't sound very land roverish

Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I know here in the states, these vehicles specifically are pretty notorious for having lots of problems... so I don't know why anyone here would be shocked when they get a fix r upper or something with lots of problems

Unless they really simply have no idea about cars whatsoever

Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

If people did research, there would be no Land Rover.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience showed me that even when well researched and checked, Land Rovers, especially the D2, is so unreliable that problems that didn't exist at the time of purchase, will develop real quick soon after purchase, because that is the nature of the beast. There is always something that needs to be fixed.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I used the info from here to help with looking at our disco. And what to expect and too look for. We are very happy with our purchase, and after driving it more and more understand why you all love them so much :-)

Keith

Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

British cars and motorcycles do not have a reliable history here in the United States...You have to work on them. They all leak oil....blahblahblah

Old 03-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What amazes me is that these "uneducated and surprised" purchasers are typically the same people that pay top dollar for these trucks!

I went to a "Premium" used car lot a while back to look at a D2 that was misprinted in a local add for $600. Got there and the guy said the price was $6000.

We talked about these particular trucks for a while and he seemed to know the issue with the trucks pretty well. He said the amazing thing is that he will sell every one he gets his hands on for $5000.

You know this guy is getting these at auction for $1500 or less. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
British cars and motorcycles do not have a reliable history here in the United States...You have to work on them. They all leak oil....blahblahblah
Yeah, they kept all the good ones in the UK and sent all the Friday afternoon crap cars to the US

Partly the problem is that in the US the legislature forces you to use V8's which in the UK are a defo 'no no' and there the TD5, in this case, is king and rarely have problems with those. Another problem is that new LR's are bought and serviced by and for the rich and famous with unlimited dosh and have been resold umpteen times thereafter and have been systematically abused by many without proper servicing so they are often a 'bag 'o nails' which enthusiasts buy cheap and then invest fortunes on. To me all vehicles new or old will be crap unless they are looked after and serviced properly but most are swapped within 2-3 years of new by the original owners and most garages know this and only target reliability to the end of warranty time. It's no different for any vehicle either from the UK, US, Germany or Japan. The Toyota recalls are witness to that

Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
responsible, educated, and researched purchase.......that just doesn't sound very land roverish

Fist bump

Quick Reply: A box full of problems