Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Clamping Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Brake Clamping Force

Got a head scratcher. Can't seem to narrow it down.
The brakes have a nice hard bite when the engine is cold (pre-operating temp). Literally, the first couple of pedal presses - the pads bite "controllably" hard.

Once the engine warms up I seem to lose that initial hard bite. Don't get me wrong, the clamping force is adequately safe, but it does not provide that confidence that the first couple pedal presses provide. It makes me wonder why this occurs...

I want to experience a constant consistent hard initial bite.

Could I have Vacuum issue at the booster? Unsure where to look or what to look for.

Pads are new.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

You say pads are new, did brakes start feeling that way with newer pads?
(Are they good quality pads & you are sure it's not the pads loosing bite after they warm up a bit)

Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

You can check the link from the brake booster to the manifold. It's a single piece unit and plastic. If you take it off, push in on the red connector on the manifold and then pull out while it's pressed in. You can always take it off and tape one end up and fill the tube with water to see if there are any leaks. Just make sure it is dry before u put it back on and depending on when it was last replaced, it's probally brittle like the plastic lines from the coolant tank. If it was going for a while I would say brake fade but you are saying just after leaving the driveway. Makes me think it could be a booster or vacuum issue.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Does your pedal slowly drop to the floor at a light? Could be the master leaking internally