Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Grinding?

I put a set of EBC Green pads front and rear, as well as a new set of rotors on the front about 5 months ago. Easy job, everything good. Now, for the last month or so, I'm getting a grinding noise when stopping, very apparent at low speed (10 mph) to stop. Also left rear has what appears to be a rust colored powder on the wheel. No apparent grooving on any of the rotors; pads have plenty of meat on them. Other than the powdery stuff on the left rear, brakes work just fine, no pulling or other usual brake problem feel through the steering wheel! Pulling off the wheel tomorrow to take a look. Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Could be one of the calipers grinding against the inside of one of your rotors.... inspect both sides of all 4 rotors. Try to pin point which wheel the grinding sound is coming from. Look for any signs of metal to metal contact anywhere on or near the brakes. Good luck

Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

The brown powdery dust is most likely from the brake pads. I have had battles with brake dust on other cars/trucks, sometimes it can be tough to get it off the rims. I have found that ceramic pads are the best for low brake dust.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Drifting
Cool

Originally Posted by jimvw57
The brown powdery dust is most likely from the brake pads. I have had battles with brake dust on other cars/trucks, sometimes it can be tough to get it off the rims. I have found that ceramic pads are the best for low brake dust.
Bingo! The passenger side pads were beyond 'down to the rivets'! They were all but non-existing! $200 and a new caliper & rotor later, all is good; had nothing to do with the front. It's weird how sound and vibrations can mislead! Now on to the next issue : why does the directional delay a fraction of a second before lighting up?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 PM
5th Gear

Can anybody please tell me why my caliber is sitting or grinding on my rotor

Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Could be rust build up on the outside edge of the rotor, or a rake pad that is worn out,or a caliper bracket bolt that has fallen out (been there) I have seen brake pads fall apart and the lining turned and is stuck in the rotor too. Time to take it apart and see what is going on.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:58 PM
5th Gear

I opened it up because I though it would be the brakes needing to be changed but Ithe brake pads have life still so then I noticed the top of my caliper has scratches as in my rotor and caliper grinding together, and I don't know why it would do that should I buy a new caliper and rotor ? It's coming from the driver side front

Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 PM
5th Gear
Default Why would this happen ?

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Could be one of the calipers grinding against the inside of one of your rotors.... inspect both sides of all 4 rotors. Try to pin point which wheel the grinding sound is coming from. Look for any signs of metal to metal contact anywhere on or near the brakes. Good luck
can you explain why this would happen ?

Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I see you're new here so you probably can't yet post a picture of what your brake setup looks like. If you can post a pic to a third-party site like Photobucket and post a link please do so.

In the meantime here's a drawing from the RAVE workshop manual. Check to confirm that the two bolts labeled "5" in the drawing are both in place. The drawing is of a caliper on the passenger side, not the driver side like you so it's reversed. The bolts come from the back side of the caliper and screw into the caliper carrier.

You also might try removing the wheel from the passenger side of your truck to see what's different than it on the driver's side. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Grinding?-front-brake-rotor-right.png  

Last edited by mln01; 11-01-2017 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nalin (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Originally Posted by mln01
I see you're new here so you probably can't yet post a picture of what your brake setup looks like. If you can post a pic to a third-party site like Photobucket and post a link please do so.

In the meantime here's a drawing from the RAVE workshop manual. Check to confirm that the two bolts labeled "5" in the drawing are both in place. The drawing is of a caliper on the passenger side, not the driver side like you so it's reversed. The bolts come from the back side of the caliper and screw into the caliper carrier.

You also might try removing the wheel from the passenger side of your truck to see what's different than it on the driver's side. Good luck.
i can not see the picture but when I checked side by side it seems as if my caliber from the driver side is like hanging there's very little space between the middle were the wheel drill are

Quick Reply: Brake Grinding?