Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Kit Advice for A Street-Driven Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Kit Advice for A Street-Driven Discovery II

My '00 discovery II is due for a brake change and the two mechanics I went to for estimates (one being a dealer) have given me quotes around about $1100 for replacing only the pads and rotors (with a big chunk of that parts). They were pretty insistent on saying that only OEM should be used.

Having just found this forum and finding Atlantic British (roverparts), can I just order the basic total kit for $309? All I do is drive it on the road. Will this kit suffice or do I really need to spring for OEM parts?

Also, is anything special needed to install the pads or rotors?I might try to talk my brother into doing the install if it is just a typical brake job.

Thanks so much for your help guys, I really wish I knew about this place before.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Brake Kit Advice for A Street-Driven Discovery II

Don't go for the cheapest brake kit, in town diving will go thru pads and rotors fater then highway and off road.
Brake job is easy to do, I would be glad to walk you thru it when you get ready.
Only special tool you may need is a hand held impact drive with a #4 philips head.
How many miles on your truck?
Buy 2 qts of DOT 4 brake fluid and 1 can of brake cleaner along with some sound deadening spray for the back of the brake pads.
Mike

Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 AM
6th Gear

It has 92000 miles on it. The brakes actually still feel fine and do not squeak, however both shops are telling me the rotor thickness is well below factory specs.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

If the rotors have never been replaced, I would chamge them out. If they have been replaced once and your brakes don't pulsate when stopping hard I would only change out the pads. How much of a lip is there on the outer edge of the rotor surface, measure it is you can?
Mike

Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 PM
6th Gear

Well, we are finally getting around to doing the brakes. I would appreciate your advice on doing the job. Also, whatr brand of rotors are recommended for typical on-road driving? I am looking at the Axxis pads, but not sure about the rotors (non-slotted). TIA

Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Drifting

I just replaced all the brakes on my 2000 Disco 2. I got the EBC performance brake kit with slots and dimples and green stuff pads from Atlantic British. I still havn't finished breaking them in, but they are great.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:33 PM
4wd Low

I installed the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Green Stuff pads. They are GREAT! Much more stopping power per ounce of pedal pressure. No three amigos issue in 3,000 miles including Colorado's best snowstorm at Christmas time and lots of warm weather running as well.

ChuckD

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM
6th Gear

Well, we got parts coming in from Zeckhusen, who by the way are great to talk and deal with, now we need some instructions. Could somebody point me in the right direction. I'm pretty sure my brother knows the procedure, but we don't have any specs such as how much to torque the bolts. Any advise or location of on-line sources would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

I just bought some Mintex red low dust pads on eBay (~$75 for both axles). Since this is my first pad change (03 with 40,000 miles) I didn't change the rotors. I did use the 3M abrasive wheel you would use to remove paint from metal to score the rotors (didn't have to remove them - ran the abrasivewheel on the drill until there were swirl marks on the rotor). I put GOOP silicone adhesive on the back of the pads and let it sit for 10-15 mins before installing (to preventsqueaks, been doing this for years).

Open the bleeder valve before compressing the piston!
-The fluid that came out was dirty and I'd hate for it to go back in the system. The reservoir holds enough fluid to bleed both rear calipers without reading low.

The Disco is much happier with the Mintex pads than with stock - I'll do the fronts the same way in a couple weeks.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

At 40K, if you haven't bled the brakes before, it would be a good idea to do them completely, the fluid does turn acidic and you will have a soft pedal.
Mike

Quick Reply: Brake Kit Advice for A Street-Driven Discovery II