Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Switch and Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch and Brake Booster

I recently changed my brake booster to resolve an issue with weak brakes. The issue is fixed but I now have another problem...

The brake light switch's plunger will not reach the brake pedal arm anymore. There seems to be a .25" gap between the two. So my brake lights stay on at all times.

Did I install the wrong brake booster? I bought a used one from a recycler on eBay and I'm not sure which year Disco they pulled it out of.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Did you buy a new or used booster? If new where? If it was from Atlantic British then be aware that the list the wrong booster for the D2! I ordered a new booster from AB for my 2004 D2 and it was noticeably smaller (thinner) vs the booster I pulled from my truck. I called them and they sent me a second booster complete with a return label and that was was also thinner. Took a hour long conversation on the phone with them and a 3rd attempt for them to send me the correct replacement brake booster. Ill upload a picture later.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

He bought a used one off ebay.

Last edited by abran; 08-28-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 AM
Drifting

Yes I bought a used one. The cost difference is so much it didn't make sense to buy new.

Fwiw the one I put in looked visually the same as the original. I hope to tinker with it this weekend; hopefully I find an easy fix.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:46 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Why not put a piece of adhesive backed neoprene or some sort of shim on the brake pedal arm and call it a day.

I'm not hating on you buying it from ebay, those boosters are ridiculously priced, I was just clarifying!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

not that you should have to do it, but the plunger is adjustable on the master side i believe.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abran
Why not put a piece of adhesive backed neoprene or some sort of shim on the brake pedal arm and call it a day.

I'm not hating on you buying it from ebay, those boosters are ridiculously priced, I was just clarifying!
Don't worry I never took offense to your post. I have actually thought of shim as well. I may just do that hah

Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
not that you should have to do it, but the plunger is adjustable on the master side i believe.
Awesome.

The plunger was slightly loose in the booster; I believe I turned it thinking I was tightening it but I may have caused my current issue by doing so.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Drifting
Default Weak brakes?

Originally Posted by shezm
I recently changed my brake booster to resolve an issue with weak brakes. The issue is fixed but I now have another problem...

The brake light switch's plunger will not reach the brake pedal arm anymore. There seems to be a .25" gap between the two. So my brake lights stay on at all times.

Did I install the wrong brake booster? I bought a used one from a recycler on eBay and I'm not sure which year Disco they pulled it out of.
What did you mean by weak brakes?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Try this, remove your brake light switch, pull the plunger out (pull hard), push the brake pedal down, then re-install the brake light switch, let go of the brake pedal, and it should adjust itself. That should take care of your brake light issue.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch and Brake Booster