Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Line Question

Need some advice guys. The past couple of days I've been hitting the upper brake line connections with pb blaster to get them ready for the ss line upgrade. Earlier today, I had the rear end up on jack stands, wheels off, and got ready to remove the first old line. Using a 11mm open wrench, I tried to loosen the bolt by the hard line. That thing would not budge. I'm really hesitant to keep working it because I'm afraid of rounding it off. I haven't yet, but I could feel it was heading that way. I've called it a day on this project out of frustration. Anybody have a recommendation? I hate the idea of someone else working on my truck, but should I let a shop take it from here? I can't afford to mess this up. FWIW, I'm pretty competent in the garage and really didn't see this being a stumbling block.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Use a line wrench NOT a open end wrench.

Tighten the fitting just alittle, then loosen, work back and forth like that until it comes loose.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Mudding

Thanks Spike, I'll see about picking up a line wrench tomorrow and give it another go.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Mudding
Exclamation

Still at a loss on this one. I went back to working on the first line (driver's rear) and that nut on the upper connector is still not budging, even with an 11mm line wrench. The thing has been soaked in pb blaster for the past couple of days, and I even tried wrapping some rubber around it to keep the edges from rounding. I'm not sure I want to use a vise grip...the metal seems pretty soft. I'm afraid that if I do get it loose at this point I won't be able to tighten it back down. My guess is that I have two options. Either I admit defeat and take it to a shop, or I order a new flex hose and and just cut the old one. Anybody have a cheaper or easier solution for me to try??

Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

I believe it is 10mm not 11, so there is the first problem.
Next thing to try, I just heard of this trick for rusted threads, heat the part you are going to work on and then put wax on it, just use a tealight or one your wife wont miss.
The wax will travel the threads and as it does it breaks the rust loose.
The brake lines are brass or copper.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Mudding

That's interesting...I've never heard of that wax trick. I'll have to give it a try. The nut is definitely 11mm, not 10. I'm just afraid of breaking it loose, but having it too rounded off to tighten back down onto the the new SS brake line. Is there a way to replace just the nut without having to buy an entire flex hose?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to use a little heat for one of the front nuts. I small torch did the trick after about 20 minutes of applying heat. If you can get a small one used by kitchens it is easier to operate in the small space.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

I have never used the wax trick.
Heat is your friend.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys. I'll make a run to get a small butane torch tonight....I don't think I could even fit my propane torch in there. Round 3 on this project will be tomorrow.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling

I ran into the same problem. Easiest solution is cut the line, get a flaring tool from autozone (loan a tool) and buy a small pipe cutter for a couple bucks. You will also need another male connection, which you should be able to get at any parts store. Just take you ss lines in so your sure your getting the right connection.

Cut the line
Slide the male connection up the line (make sure you do this before flaring the end)
Use flaring tool (instructions in box practice on a scape line to get the hang of it)
Tighten ss line.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Question