Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i have found when it comes to flarenut / line wrench cheap ones are not the way to go. Most of the made in china set with strip the flare nut quicker than a regular open end would.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Rovers North, since they have the brake line "flex hose" for sale on the site. The line is standard 3/16" brake line in case anyone else runs into this project and wants to know, that's what we have on DII's. On Friday I'll be cutting the line above the fitting, placing a new fitting from NAPA on the line, and making a double flare. I should have enough slack line to cut and flare once, so if I make a mistake I'll be buying new flex hose. I haven't checked NAPA to see what they charge for generic line, but Rovers North sells the pre-measured line for $77 a corner. Except for the rear passenger corner, which is almost double that price.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Baja

Get yourself a cheap section of 3/16 brake line to practice with double flares are not easy. I used to have to make them a century or two ago when I when to school for HVAC and there sucked to make in copper, twice as hard with a steel brake line.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Mudding

I know what you mean. I already worked a few on a couple pieces of scrap line I have laying around. Honestly, the worst part is clamping the line down tight enough not to slip. I feel pretty comfortable with it, but I'll still be holding my breath when I do it in such a tight space.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Baja

good luck, sounds like your on the right track

Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah its a real pain sometimes....I think I screwed it up once on the vehicle and had to cut the line back again...decided to practice after that....

Tighten down that camp as tight as you can and then use a wrench.

There is room on the rear to screw up once... maybe twice...but your now shortening your "extended" lines... not sure on the room for error on the front.

Best of luck!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Mudding

Another day, another question. After talking to a couple indy mechs and doing a little researching myself, now I'm unsure of the type of flare again. I'm hearing that DII's actually use ISO bubble flares, not double flares. I called AB since they made the SS lines I'm trying to install to ask what kind of flare mates with their fitting. No big surprise, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I remember seeing a post in the DI section that confirmed the bubble flare, but I'm not sure if that applies to DII's. Anybody know for certain?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Double flare 100%...I would be dead by now if it was any different

Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Mudding

Double flare it is then! I'll be sure to post the update on Friday.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Mudding
Default Update

Alright guys, I wanted to post a quick update on how things are going. Both of the rear lines are now installed, and talk about a PITA! So far, both of the flare nuts/line fittings have been frozen solid. I had to cut both lines, use new fittings, and re-flare them both. It didn't matter what I tried....heat, pb blaster, freeze off, etc. They were stuck solid. I'm expecting I'll need to cut the front lines as well. It's break time now, though! I thought it would be best for my sanity, ha!

Quick Reply: Brake Line Question