Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nychaze
I ran into the same problem. Easiest solution is cut the line, get a flaring tool from autozone (loan a tool) and buy a small pipe cutter for a couple bucks. You will also need another male connection, which you should be able to get at any parts store. Just take you ss lines in so your sure your getting the right connection.

Cut the line
Slide the male connection up the line (make sure you do this before flaring the end)
Use flaring tool (instructions in box practice on a scape line to get the hang of it)
Tighten ss line.
Thanks, I had thought about that but wasn't sure about how to do it. I tried hitting it with heat, but that didn't do anything. Looks like I'll try this next. By any chance do you remember the size of that male connection nut? I figure it would be easier to just pick up 4 in case I run into the same problem on the other corners.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Mudding

And what the diameter of the solid line is?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Just take your lines into the parts store....I went to Napa and they didn't have the individual male connectors but they do have miscellaneous line with the connectors on them...bought that, cut the line and pulled the connector.

So if they don't have the connector ask if they have misc lines WITH the connectors.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

If you have never used a flare tool practice on the scape piece. I practiced on the line I bought that came with the connectors.

Tip - tighten the pipe clamp as hard as you can....I had problems with the pipe wanting to slip.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Mudding

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going with. I'll make a stop by NAPA this week to pick a few of those up. I'd rather have a few spares on hand than realize the other corners are just as bad. Autozone has two flare tool kits available, metric and SAE. Which one to get?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Mudding

I was able to pick up a few fittings from NAPA today. I have the AB extended SS lines, and brought one with me. The guys were pretty stumped, but we found a 3/16" fitting with metric threads that fit perfectly. Unfortunately, nobody at NAPA or Autozone knew what kind of flare I need...single or double. I'm assuming double but not entirely sure. Anyone (nychaze maybe) know the line size or the flare type? I'd like to tear into this on Friday, but I want to have the right tool for the job before I cut the line.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I dont know the size but all brake lines are "supossed" to be double flaired.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Mudding

I'll go with a double flare then. I'm assuming that the line is a standard 3/16", but it seems you can never get away with assuming anything with these trucks!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Double flare. Not sure on the line size but if the fitting worked you should be fine.

Dont over-tighten the ss line when you make the connection. The threads will strip easier than you think...happend to me and had to buy another set of lines...went with the terrafirma the second time and used the remaining lines on my buggy.

Not sure what the ft/lbs... snug them and bleed.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Buy a cheap set of brake line wrench or whatever they are called so you don't round anything off.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Question