Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake modification

I have a 1995 Disco I w/ 166k on the clock. This Disco is my daily driver and has been great since I learned how to take care of her properly from this site. the only issue still presenting is that on occasion, with the ABS light not illuminated, when I apply pressure to the brake to bring her to a full stop it will growl and kind of give out in its braking ability and then it is real soft before coming to a stop. It sounds electrical to me and has a sort of deep hum to it. When the ABS light stays illuminated there are no issues whatsoever.
This gal is long in the tooth and I don't want to have to dump a lot of money into her to fix the ABS so my question is how difficult is it to by-pass the ABS system and brake without that system? More trouble than its worth? Just curious, thanks for any suggestions.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll loose the ABS function, but try pulling the ABS fuse from the underhood fuse box and see if that helps. That will disable all ABS function. If it dosen't help, it's something else

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kenk
You'll loose the ABS function, but try pulling the ABS fuse from the underhood fuse box and see if that helps. That will disable all ABS function. If it dosen't help, it's something else
Dito.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the advice, I think this will be a short day at work so I'll try immediately. I assume the manual will point towards which fuse is which? If not any recommendations, thanks.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by targotsi
Thanks for the advice, I think this will be a short day at work so I'll try immediately. I assume the manual will point towards which fuse is which? If not any recommendations, thanks.
30amp identified in the lid of the fuse box in the engine compartment. Under the facia is a 5amp, should be on the label with you open the access panel.

Pulling the fuses is easiest.
Next is to upgrade fronts with D90 calipers, rotors and pads.
Next step, if you want, is to remove the ABS pump that requires some easy re-plumbing.

Last edited by antichrist; 05-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yup, pull the ABS pump fuse from under the hood.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

targotsi: you are describing something that has happened to me.
One of the sensors wire is nearly severed from repetitive flexing, usually the front ones. This will send OK signal at start up but at first braking it messes up the ABS ECU and you get very poor braking the first stop. Then the ABS ECU knows that there is a problem and disables itself. Once you turn off the car, the ECU resets and next time you use the brakes... surprise!
I'm not poor, I'm cheap so I disconnected the sensor wire at the connector (the left front is just beside the ABS manifold) and still drive it this way. I like this way better. The front really stops in snow and wet grass, the rear still has the ABS functioning and suits me fine.

If you connect an Ohm meter to the sensor wire you should get 1 to 2 Ohms if my memory serve me right. Compare the resistence reading of all four. If the faulty one is not clear, have someone rock the car while you measure.

SD