Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Brake pad adhesive?

Im changing out my rear brake pads and having the rotors turned to clean them up a bit and in the process of removing the pads I found them glued to the caliper cylinder. I looked in the rave and it does not mention using an adhesive. The autoparts place said to use a high temp grease to prevent rattle but, should I be using some kind of adhesive instead, and if so what kind?
thanks-jon.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, you don't ever resurface Rover rotors, they are too thin and soft to start with, at this point your rotors are under specs and will slowly start to warp.
You don't use glue on the pads, you use sound deadening spray or goop to prevent squeaking. Who's pads are you installing?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cancel on the rotor turning, just went to pick them up and they said they could not turn them because the rust on the area where the pad does not contact, destroyed their blades. The pads are the top of the line that autozone carries I will see what brand when I get home, they where $59 a set.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Junk pads, they will squeak, give you black, brake dust wheels and most likely throw the 3 amigos.
I would hold off and buy some good pads like the Akabona ceramic pads that last longer, don't squeak, make dust and stop better.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I think they were called wearever? They claimed it's their best in stock pad they carry. What rotors should I get as replacement, also what kind of goop for adhesive? Would high temp gasket sealer work or " disk brake quiet " stuff autozone caries work? Thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Any rotor is OK, unless you want to step up to EBC or DBA slotted and drilled rotors for better stopping power.
Their best pads aren't good enough.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

You will be much better off purchasing parts from a Rover-parts-only supplier. I think D.A.P. Enterprises LLC - Everything for your Land Rover have a complete brake set for somewhere around $200 or $300 includes pads and rotors all the way around. I don't know anything about the quality but, they generally have decent stuff. Also, Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories should have ALL you need as far as parts go. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay, akebono pads ordered, they will arrive in the morning with new rotors. The wearevers will be returned. Back to the adhesive... Will high temp gasket sealer work? Not sure what goop is. I have some stuff from autozone called " disk brake quiet". It claims to dry into a sound absorbing film. Any suggestions on this?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not listening. You can't use goop, adhesive, or high temp gasket sealer on your brakes. What are you trying to accomplish by using them, to glue your pads to the rotors so your brakes will bind and cause even more noise and dust. Don't worry about what you need, the Akebono brake pads come with a little packet of paste specifically formulated for use on brake pads.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If for some reason the Akebono pads don't come with the lubricant pack, get a tube of caliper slide grease at your local auto parts store, apply liberally to the caliper slides, and also to the backside of the brake pads where they come into contact with the piston on the inboard pad, and the caliper on the outboard pad.

The lubricant is to prevent vibration when the pads contact the rotor during braking.

Quick Reply: Brake pad adhesive?