Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
If for some reason the Akebono pads don't come with the lubricant pack, get a tube of caliper slide grease at your local auto parts store, apply liberally to the caliper slides, and also to the backside of the brake pads where they come into contact with the piston on the inboard pad, and the caliper on the outboard pad.

The lubricant is to prevent vibration when the pads contact the rotor during braking.
Does putting the grease on the back of the pads at the caliper contact points help prevent the 3 amigos popping up?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
You are not listening. You can't use goop, adhesive, or high temp gasket sealer on your brakes. What are you trying to accomplish by using them, to glue your pads to the rotors so your brakes will bind and cause even more noise and dust. Don't worry about what you need, the Akebono brake pads come with a little packet of paste specifically formulated for use on brake pads.
Mike said to use goop and the original pads I just removed were glued to the caliper piston with some kind of glue like substance, what am I not listening to?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Goop" is a generic term for any anti-squeal grease.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Does putting the grease on the back of the pads at the caliper contact points help prevent the 3 amigos popping up?
Unfortunately most likely not, as the lubricant is not going to reduce brake dust from metallic or cheaply made pads.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Unfortunately most likely not, as the lubricant is not going to reduce brake dust from metallic or cheaply made pads.
Just wondering. So, what you're saying is good set of quality pads will stop the amigos from paying a visit and grease on the caliper contact points will keep them quiet, correct? In other words, the amigos are caused by the dust, not the vibration?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Just wondering. So, what you're saying is good set of quality pads will stop the amigos from paying a visit and grease on the caliper contact points will keep them quiet, correct? In other words, the amigos are caused by the dust, not the vibration?
A good quality set of pads (Akebono ceramics is what I run, and several people recommend) will seriously cut down on the brake dust. Brake dust interfering with the abs speed sensor at the wheel is but one of many sources of the Amigos.

Grease on the caliper points will keep the pads from vibrating, which is one of the sources of brake noise. Grease on the caliper slide pins will allow the caliper to slide like it should when brakes are applied, and keep both pads wearing evenly.

Lol, I hope this was a satisfactory answer! I like to make statements which are accurate, and try to seldom make sweeping statements such as "with a good set of brake pads you will be far less likely to have the Amigos visit." The reason I can't make a sweeping statement like that is there are at least a dozen different reasons for the amigos.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks man, I was really just wondering what about the junk pads causes the amigos. I had a problem with them when I first bought my truck but I think it had to do with the fact that the pads and rotors were completely GONE!!!
I really appreciate you taking the time to explain though, again Thank You very much!