Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad recomendations: No dust & no squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Brake Pad recomendations: No dust & no squeak

Looking for some brake pad recomendations for my Disco. I recently did my brakes and used OEM rotors with AXXIS Ultiamte Pads. While the pads are low dust, whcih is great, the squeak like hell. I want to change the pads out with something that doesn't squeak, and also doesn't require me to wash my wheels once a day...

TIA

Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM
WGM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake Pad recomendations: No dust & no squeak

sna77 ...

I just did a brake pad/rotor job myself a couple of weeks ago ... I used the Ferodo kit from Atlantic British (recommended to me by Disco Mike) ... So far, I get practically no brake dust (front or rear) and they are super quiet and feel great when braking. Obviously, I can't say how the pads/rotors are going to wear over time, but I feel confident they will serve me well.

Another thing that Disco Mike told me that is almost a "must do" is to get one of those aerosol cans of stuff that you spray on the backside of your brake pads prior to installation to help minimize squeaks ... It's a thick tacky substance that you spray generously on the back of the pads that acts as an extra barrier between the pads and the pistons/calipers to help dampen any vibrations so that your brakes don't squeak ...

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You might contact Tony at 650-365-4145, he owns a great Rover shop and the LRRForum and has been using a new ceramic pad with Brembo rotos with great success. What ever you change to use lots of sound deadening material on the brake pads and camfer the leading edge of the pads if they don't have it already.
Mike

Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I put Mintex low dust on my 03 SE and I've been pleased. They only squeal a little bit if you've been in traffic for a long time.

Before installing I covered the back of the pads with silicone and let it drya bit before installing.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 AM
4wd Low

OEM are good for VW brake pads. Not sure about other models but we must choose wisely on brake parts since a good performingbrake systemis very important.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 AM
4wd Low

I just did the brakes on my 99 this past week. I used True Stop pads. Most Napa Auto Parts houses have access to them. I followed the service manual to the tee and I made sure that I used a liberal amount of the brake pad dressing that WGMspeaks of. Obviously it goes on the back side of the pad... I used plenty and allowed it to dry. Just before I put everything back together I cleaned everything once again with brake cleaner. So far I have not had one squeak and the dust is minimal.

Is there any possibility that one of the brake pad springs got bent during the installation and is rubbing against the rotor causing the increased squeak?

Another Killer Brake kit is the EBC dimpled and slotted set that Atlantic British stocks for the Disco. It is a little pricey, but supposed to be great.

Good Luck.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

For your brake squeak question, it is more likelky that one pad may be dragging, either because of a warn caliper piston or because f a lack of lube that some Rovers require for the pads to slide on.
Mike

Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 PM
4wd Low

I went with the EBC rotors and their Green pads. Work great (after much bleeding of lines) and make practically no dust. No squeals and no three amigos!!

ChuckD

Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

... and camfer the leading edge of the pads if they don't have it already.
Mike
DiscoMike,

"Udaman!!" simply doesn't describe appreciation for the enormous help you've been to thousands of rover DIYers, on this forum and others. Thanks man.

I am in the middle of changing out my rear pads on a 99 disco. The pads are generously chamfered on one edge, and good 3/4 of an inch off the edge. Your post above says the chamfer should be the LEADING edge. Just want to make absolutely certain which edge that is before bolting everything back up. The calipers hang ABOVE and to the AFT of the rotor axis, so when mounted...

the LEADING edge of the pads is toward the BOTTOM of the caliper? That is to say, the caliper is rotating into the chamfered edge? Correct?