Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad recomendations

The PO of my rig gave me a set of front and rear brake pads and I'm wondering about their quality. The front set is Delphi Lockheed, and the rear is Bendix. The Bendix box says they're OEM with low noise/dust and has shims. The pads from Bendix seem to be good enough but what about the Delphi's?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Brake pad recomendations

Good read, thanks llesra.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 AM
8th Gear

Stay away from the Delphi pads .. not sure on the Bendex. I purchased a brake rebuild kit from Atlantic British (rotors and pads), I got the Delphi pads without really knowing they were crap. Long story short, they started squealing right away, really bad, and set off the 3 Amigos. Unfortunately for me, Atlantic British wouldnt accept a swap for better ones so I ended up buying the Ferodo pads and installed .. no more squeal, three Amigos gone after a reset.

So if anyone is simply selling their DII or doesnt mind the scream at brake time, I have a complete set of "slightly used" Delphi pads ... real cheap :-)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it's hard to generalize on brake pads. There are a lot of variables and you see a lot of anticdotal evidence tossed around, on these boards w/o any repeatable evidence. So much depends on howthe service was performed, as much as the pads used ....and the condition of the rotors at the time of installation. For example, some guys stick new pads in w/o changing or scuffing up the rotors. Then you have to consider the condition of the rotors, where they rusted, scorched, glazed, etc?? Was there any type of break-in period? Also, what conditions was the vehicle driven in.

Also, different vehicles use different type of brake pad hold-down and anti-squeal strategies. So, while one type of pad may not squeal on vehicles 123&4, the same pad may squeal on vehicle # 5. I've personally used bendix brakes in my vehicles for years and typically never had a squealing problem. But at times I have experienced squealing problems that were shotr lived. I've had the same thing with other brands of pads I've used.

On my D1, the brakes squealed really bad when I got it. I bought some pads from Rover-Parts because: 1) to play it safe on the anti-squeal front, 2) they weren't any more/less money than the local parts stores, 3) they came with new hold-down hardware. I also replaced the rotors. The pads I received weren't any type of "mystery Euro-formulated pad", they were Federal Mogul brand pads -- the same pads I could have bought at a local parts store! When I did the job, I discovered at one wheelthe pad hold-down spring clips had been installed upside-down and one was cracked. Basically it wasn't holding down the pads properly, or hardly at all), and onmost of theother pads the anti-squeal backing on the pad had completelyworn away at the point of caliper piston contact ...due to braking pressure from thepiston pushing against it. Some anti-squeal pads were completely gone due to age. I guess that was fairly normal given the miles.A couple of the rotorsappeared to be heavily glazedtoo. These are the kind of things that contribute to squealing pads. I'm not saying the pad formulation can't be a contributor, but I am suggesting there are a lot of factors that need to be considered besides just the brand of brakes.