Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:04 AM
|
4wd Low
Default Brake Pads

I am still new to the Disco II and the front pads are squeaking and the ABS flashes every know and then so I am assuming a change is in order.

What is the opinion on brake pads? Can I get them from OReilly's? Advanced?

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling

From what I understand, the infamous "3 Amigos" (3 warning lights: ABS, traction control and hill descent control all on) can be triggered by excessive brake dust. Some "cheapie" pads tend to contribute more dust than others.

I've been using OEM Land Rover pads continuously and haven't had any issues (hoping that I didn't just jinx myself!).

They can be purchased easily and (relatively) inexpensively at roversnorth.com or atlanticbritish.com.

I'm sure others will chime in with other opinions, and there's a lot of good threads already on this subject.

Good luck!
RedAustinIX

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:27 AM
Banned

I have just put on EBC front rotors and Akebono brake pads, my brakes have gone from real crappy to real sharp. No squeals, shakes or shudders and my ABS now actually kicks in when I slam the brakes on a dirt road. I have only had the new brake setup for a week now, so not much to go by but very happy. That was $172 for the setup with free shipping, $72 for the Akebono pads.

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:32 AM
TReK

I put some cheap pads from OReilly's on the rear of my DII. My old ones had grease in them from an axle leak so I had to replace them quick. They would squeal a little when I pulled out of my driveway, it's a steep driveway, but they have quieted down now and seem fine.

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:37 AM
Administrator

I am a big promoter of the Akebono ceramic pads, they stop better, faster, wear longer and cause less rotor wear.
I paid apx $80 for the front pads and $53 for the rears thru Auto Parts Wharehouse.com, may find a slightly better price on Amazon.

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:53 AM
TReK

mike, I have not researched ceramic pads for my rover but I did for my car because brake dust on the wheels is an issue. From what I read ceramic pads do not stop as well as semi-metallic, so I kept the semi-metallic. Do you have a link to testing that shows different?

Old 09-20-2010 | 10:40 AM
Winching

According to the Akebono website, you can get their brake pads at Advance Auto and Carquest.

Eric

Old 09-20-2010 | 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SDinDS
According to the Akebono website, you can get their brake pads at Advance Auto and Carquest.
$100 at Advanced vs $72 at Auto Parts Warehouse... you decide which is better

Old 09-20-2010 | 11:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
mike, I have not researched ceramic pads for my rover but I did for my car because brake dust on the wheels is an issue. From what I read ceramic pads do not stop as well as semi-metallic, so I kept the semi-metallic. Do you have a link to testing that shows different?
When I installed my new Akebono's, I dropped them on a set of 90,000 mile old DBA rotors and I believe they stop better the the Kevlar pads I had on there before.

Old 09-20-2010 | 11:31 AM
TReK

x1000 on the Akebono's, I have had them on for the last 10,000 miles and can't believe how little brake dust they produce compared the the crap I had on before. Oh yes, and the added stopping power is a nice bonus too

Quick Reply: Brake Pads