Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pedal

HI guys
I recently installed a new brake switchin my 98 disco. That fixed the problem of being stuck in park. everything worked fine until today I noticed my brake lights were on whenever ignition was switched on. I looked under brake pedal and saw that the brake pedal arm was not fully closing the brake switch, when I close switch completely with my finger,brake lights go off as normal.

Question: is there supposed to be something on the pedal arm to contact the swithes (like a piece of plastic or rubber) Right now the metal arm is all that contacts the plastic switch.
Is there anything that would keep the pedal from returning fully to off position???

Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: brake pedal

Hello, I,m not so sure about a 98 but, it's the arm that makes contact with the switch. Have you tried to re-adjust the switch. you may be able to back the switch out some, away from the arm. so when the pedal is released it will just clear the switch.
gTAGG

Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: gtagg

Hello, I,m not so sure about a 98 but, it's the arm that makes contact with the switch. Have you tried to re-adjust the switch. you may be able to back the switch out some, away from the arm. so when the pedal is released it will just clear the switch.
gTAGG
I think his problem is just the opposite. He needs his switch to be closer, nor farther away.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear

thanks
phototone is correct . I need the arm to come closer to the switch to depress it completely. I checked the switch to be sure it was seated correctly. I can't understand how it worked properly for a week (since I installed the new switch) and then suddenly not depress it all the way today. that's why I wondered if there was some pad or something that came off of the brake arm. Could something else cause the arm to not return to normal position after braking??

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: lips

thanks
phototone is correct . I need the arm to come closer to the switch to depress it completely. I checked the switch to be sure it was seated correctly. I can't understand how it worked properly for a week (since I installed the new switch) and then suddenly not depress it all the way today. that's why I wondered if there was some pad or something that came off of the brake arm. Could something else cause the arm to not return to normal position after braking??

If your brakes are operating otherwise normally, with good pedal, and fully releasing the brakes when you let off the pedal, you "could" improvise a pad to ensure switch contact. I see no harm in that.

Correct function of the switch is to actuate the rear outside brake lights when you press on the brake pedal. So the switch closes when you press on the pedal, and when the pedal is at rest, the contacts inside the switch are open (the brake light contacts). In other words, pressure from the brake pedal lever pushing on the switch opens the internal contacts of the switch. The ONLY time your BRAKE red light on the instrument cluster should light is when you have the parking brake on....or you have inadequate brake fluid in the brake fluid resevoir.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear

thanks phototone
I already improvised a pad to fully depress switch but shouldn't have to. Can't figure out what changed. NoBrake red light on dash coming on. I think that was a different post.