Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes after mostly sitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes after mostly sitting

I just returned from Afghanistan. While gone, my wife and father in law started the DII up several times a week and typically drove it a few miles a week. It did end up sitting undriven (but started several times a week) for the last month or so. It has 166k.

So, I get back from Afghanistan and take it out for a drive. First thing I notice when I start it up is are the three amigos. D'oh. Okay, so I drive to the end of the block and experience a terrifying lack of brakes. The pedal went all the way to the floor and I had to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. I also noticed that it pulled hard to the left on braking.

The brake fluid level was a little low so I tried to top it off with a new can of fluid. I say tried because it took the entire bottle and the fluid remained at a little below the minimum line. I parked it on the street and saw no obvious leakage under it or at any of the hubs. It does look like there is a little leakage under the master cylinder. No obvious drops, it just looks wet and the paint is peeling.

Without the three amigos or in another car I think I'd know what to do but imagine that the three amigos play into this somehow. Any advice?

ETA: here are a few pictures. I checked the vacuum line coming off of the MC and it looks intact. What about the line with the red arrow? Should that be attached to something or complete?

Attached Thumbnails Brakes after mostly sitting-20150105_132831.jpg  

Last edited by longjon76; 01-05-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone will correct me if wrong but I believe that is a just a vent hose from one of the drive train components so definitely not your issue. My first thought would be maybe air or moisture in the system from a small leak like you said? Could try bleeding the system to see if any improvement, clean the area around where you think it might be leaking and keep and eye on it.

I don't believe the three amigo's issue would be related but could be wrong. As in you can have the three amigos but still have normal feeling brakes (without anti lock working possibly?)

The following users liked this post:
longjon76 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

you are right it's a vent. but brake's are one of the 3 amigoe's ,

longjon76 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's quite common for the grommets that connect the bottom of the fluid reservoir to the body of the master cylinder to dry out and leak.

It's also time to flush and bleed the brakes, especially since you've pumped the brakes and probably introduced air into the system. Once this is done you can reevaluate the braking action.

Best of luck!

longjon76 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the answers so far. I'll order the grommets and replace immediately.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling

When unpacking my tools in the garage I noticed a half empty bottle of DOT3 brake fluid. None of our vehicles use it so I asked the father in law and he said that it seemed like the Discovery's fluid was a little low so he bought some of that to top it off. So, I'll be draining, flushing, refilling and bleeding the whole system. I also looked for the part number for the seal between the MC and the booster but couldn't find it. Anyone know where I might be able to order it?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Your DII uses DOT 4 not 3.

I only use this >Castrol Brake Fluid For Cars And Trucks and you can get it at any local auto parts place. A lot of guys also use the Valvoline.

longjon76 (01-07-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm most certainly willing to lend you my ABS Amigo to diagnose the lights if you need it.

I'd also bet the problem is mostly related to the low fluid. I'd just do a complete flush/bleed job on the truck and see how it is. As others have said, it's also time to replace the grommets on the bottom of the reservoir. I believe RoversNorth, BP Utah, Lucky8, etc all sell the kit.

Let me know if you need that ABS Amigo, and thanks for your service to our country!

The following 2 users liked this post by 5kcstq:
longjon76 (01-07-2015), stb616 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by longjon76
... I also looked for the part number for the seal between the MC and the booster but couldn't find it. Anyone know where I might be able to order it?
If you're talking about the seals between the reservoir and the MC, they aren't available without buying a new reservoir/overhaul kit. (Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Kit For Discovery II - Genuine Part SJJ100362)

It's lame. At one point I read something about grommets that served the same purpose for some of BMW vehicles being available from the Beemer dlr. But, I never could find any specific p/n info and I got the impression that they may be NLA.

My short-term fix, while I was waiting for parts, was to loop a couple of looooooong zip ties around the bottom of the MC, up and over the reservoir. Then gently tighten them. That bought me a couple of weeks while I shopped and ordered parts. But then you gotta bleed the brakes again. So, if you can park the car until getting the parts, I'd go that route.

Cheers,
Gavin

longjon76 (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Three Wheeling

I went ahead and ordered a new MC and reservoir. It looks like the original and if I'm going to be replacing the grommets and flushing the whole system it seemed like a good idea to go ahead and replace the MC.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll post back after I replace it and flush with whether that fixed everything and cleared the 3 amigos.