Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes .. Brakes .. Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes .. Brakes .. Brakes

I would like to upgrade my braking not for the aesthetics of the cool calipers and rotors, but i would like to start towing again next season and i do not feel comfortable with the brakes on this box given it is heavy as it is and does not like to stop.
Suggestions would be great or any help in picking the parts.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The brakes suck period end of story, people can say what they want about EBC slotted rotors and green pads but in the end you are just polishing a turd. Stainless steel lines may help firm things up a bit. You are a brave man to be towing with a disco btw.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Mudding

I have recently installed Lucky8 cross drilled and slotted rotors front and back on my 2003 D2 with Akebono pads. I am very impressed with the braking performance, on top of that the wheels stay clean. Everyone will have their own opinion, do your research and buy what is in your budget and available to you. I also did the extended stainless steel brake lines.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The most stopping power you will get is from a set of DBA slotted and drilled, not dimpled, rotors and a set of high end Akebono ceramic brake pads, do a complete brake flush and use a synthetic brake fluid and if need be replace your rubber brake hoses with stainless steel.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The brakes suck period end of story, people can say what they want about EBC slotted rotors and green pads but in the end you are just polishing a turd. Stainless steel lines may help firm things up a bit. You are a brave man to be towing with a disco btw.
Local LR guy said the same thing about towing.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by discoboy
I have recently installed Lucky8 cross drilled and slotted rotors front and back on my 2003 D2 with Akebono pads. I am very impressed with the braking performance, on top of that the wheels stay clean. Everyone will have their own opinion, do your research and buy what is in your budget and available to you. I also did the extended stainless steel brake lines.
Thanks for the tip and i found them on their site this morning.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Mudding

I have a set of slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads. Bottom line, this is the best stopping power you are going to get out of the stock rotors. That being said, I I stomp on the binders, she will nearly stand on her nose. I have NEVER had a problem pulling her to a 'short stop' using this setup. In fact, I think this setup has unpleasantly surprised some rice-burners that were doing a close inspection of my hitch receiver!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Three Wheeling

I towed a fairly large trailer this last year in my Discovery 2. Though I have a trailer brake installed and normally pull a 20 foot trailer. I was more worried of getting up the ill than stopping.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Fireman
I have a set of slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads. Bottom line, this is the best stopping power you are going to get out of the stock rotors. That being said, I I stomp on the binders, she will nearly stand on her nose. I have NEVER had a problem pulling her to a 'short stop' using this setup. In fact, I think this setup has unpleasantly surprised some rice-burners that were doing a close inspection of my hitch receiver!

What setup / supplier did you go with?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Mudding

I bought the rotors and pads off eBay about 2 years ago and swapped them myself. So far I have been happy. I got the chromium plated and they show minimal rust. Furthermore, the pads have held up well.

Quick Reply: Brakes .. Brakes .. Brakes