Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Feel "Flat"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Feel "Flat"

Changed my pads and rotors about 4 months ago and bled the brakes at that time and everything was good to go. Now the brakes feel "flat" , not really feeling good stopping power unless I give it a quick pump, then the good feel is there. Does this sound like air in lines?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid? Have you replaced the factory rubber lines with stainless steel? Both of these will give a better feeling pedal.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by malmberg
When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid? Have you replaced the factory rubber lines with stainless steel? Both of these will give a better feeling pedal.
Flushed about 4 months ago, and still factory lines.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling

bump, anyone Bueller??

Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would try flushing again just in case.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Drifting

Air in the lines generally gives more of a mushy pedal than a flat, no grip feeling. You may want to try to bed the pads in again. You should be getting better stopping power out of the brakes than when first installed at this point, not less.

Instead of the usual series of stops you can hit the freeway get it up to 60 or so and apply the brakes with the gas to the floor until you start smelling brake then let off and drive for about 10-15 minutes -without touching the brakes to let them cool then turn around an do it again. If the rotors have a bluish color to them when you get home you got it done.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Rock Crawling

a jammed caliper can cause the flat feeling cause it wont move. you might want to make sure all the calipers are engaging. how to do that, i dont know other that removing each wheel and pads, then pump and make sure that they are moving.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
a jammed caliper can cause the flat feeling cause it wont move. you might want to make sure all the calipers are engaging. how to do that, i dont know other that removing each wheel and pads, then pump and make sure that they are moving.
I was thinking that because the passenger rear caliper didnt look so hot when I did the brakes, it was the only one that was rusted?? So I will check that first, but strange after a pump they feel great.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like normal rover brakes to me. Every Disco I've ever driven (only 4 or 5) has been exactly the same, very dead but great after one pump.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DavidG
Sounds like normal rover brakes to me. Every Disco I've ever driven (only 4 or 5) has been exactly the same, very dead but great after one pump.
I dont know about that, i did test drive a rover that the brakes felt unresponsive and flat, in fact i passed the road i wanted to turn on! mine are great. the pedal is responsive and i put new pads all around, it wont stop like a honda, but the pedal feels right.

air in the lines maybe? i might try bleeding again.

Last edited by oljohnboy; 08-01-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes Feel "Flat"