Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes locking up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes locking up.

My brakes faded over time on my disco2, so I replaced pads all round. 2days later the F/O side and F/N side brakes locked up. The mechanic pointed to the ABS module maybe being faulty as opposite corners locked up together. When the car cooled down, the brakes were fine for days, then again it's done it again today. Can somebody please point me to a possible fault. Non of the 3 amigos come on.
Thanks
Tony.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

do they stay locked up or is it just a quick lockup? sounds like stuck calipers to me. is the fluid dirty?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm jealous. My brakes won't lock up at all. In fact, the brakes suck. I bought it with fairly new brakes installed by the PO, but they look like drilled rotors with factory LR pads. I'm tempted to pad slap it with some Akebono's to see if it helps.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Crosland
Non of the 3 amigos come on.
Thanks
Tony.
Do they come on and then go off when you start the car? If so, did you feel the ABS working (or trying to work) when the tires locked up?

Also, what is F/O and F/N?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
4wd Low

Ed, they lock up and stay locked. The calipers look fine, the cylinders and sliders are in good shape. Something is telling them to stay on. The other two brakes stay off.
The ABS isn't felt under normal breaking, and the 3lamps only come on with the initial ignition turn on.
Tony

Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
4wd Low

F/o is front off side, or left front.
R/N is rear near side, or rear right.
But it is the diagonally opposite ones, the 2are supplied though the same half of the ABS modulator.
Tony.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The master cylinder is split into two parts or circuits, with the primary circuit feeding the left front and right rear, and the secondary circuit feeding the right front and left rear according to RAVE. The piston in the master cylinder may be sticking causing the circuit to remain pressurized. The inlet solenoids of the ABS system on that circuit may be getting stuck closed as well, but I would expect the ABS light to come on in that case. Either way, a good brake flush might help. When was the last time that was done?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Check the switch that puts you in hill decent mode.
Make sure the switch goes up and down freely.
Make sure the switch is centered and not rubbing with the in / out button.

Make the switch go in and out about 10 times to clean it.

That is a long shot - but covering the bases.
I don't think hill decent will even kick in at road speeds.

----
Go slow and try to activate hill decent.
Go about 2 miles an hour - push in the button.
Listen to the sound of the ABS running to get used to the sound.

Then listen for that same sound.

the brake pedal will modulate when the ABS is on.

Check your Hi / Low selector on the transfer case which is north of the gear shifter.
Make sure you are SOLIDLY in the High range and that the **** is solidly in HI.

If the **** is not solid in HI range, there may be a switch activated which makes it think it is in low range - for the purpose of using hill decent.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Crosland
Ed, they lock up and stay locked. The calipers look fine, the cylinders and sliders are in good shape. Something is telling them to stay on. The other two brakes stay off.
The ABS isn't felt under normal breaking, and the 3lamps only come on with the initial ignition turn on.
Tony
Do you have a power brake bleeder? what does the fluid look like? might want to flush it and refill it first before you start throwing parts at it.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM
4wd Low

Do you think this would account for the total or near total lack of brakes that that occur some days, and not others?. I will certainly strip and clean the master cylinder and flush the system. Don't even know what a power bleeder is, but will look in to it.
Cheers Ed.
Tony.

Quick Reply: Brakes locking up.