Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes, then no Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes, then no Brakes

OK so I drove around Thursday and my brakes worked fine. Woke up to go to work the next day and I have no brakes. I topped off the brake fluid and still no brakes. I bled the lines and still no brakes. I asked my car guy and he said it might be that the brake booster went bad. Before I try to do all of that work to change it out, I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems or knows the common problem that it might be. I have a 96 Disco and really want to get back behind the wheel ASAP. Please help!
Nikki

Old 01-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Brakes, then no Brakes

When you say you have no brakes, do you mean the pedal goes to the floor, if so, can you pump the brake pedal a couple of times to get them back?
Do you have a warning light on?
Mike

Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Drifting

The pedal does go all the way to the floor. While in park I can pump the brakes and they get more tension, but as soon as I am in gear they just go right back down to the floor. I have had a check engine light on for a while, but it came on a while before the brakes went out. Even while driving I can pump the brakes a little bit and there is a touch more tension, but again when I need to stop the pedal is again down to the floor. I have enough brakes to go a couple of blocks up the road as long as I start to stop a while back. Thanks for getting back to me.
Nikki

Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Anyone got any ideas???? I realy got get this taken care of and I don't want to pay for a part I don't need. I'm just a girl trying to not get put through the ringer at the dealership.
Nikki

Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

So under most case of this type of brake pedal fade it is caused either by the brake master cylinder failing and or a booster failing or not getting any vaccum.
My money is on the master cylinder, when the seals fail the peda; can go to the floor but be pumped up with a couple of rapid brake pedal pumps.
If it is the brake master cylinder, they aren't too expensive and are pretty easy to change out if you have a friend who is pretty mechanical.
Mike

Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Drifting

So I am taking your advice and changing out the brake master cylindar. I found one for 45 which is better than the 375 for the booster. I am going to change it out on Thursday and let you know how everything went. Thanks so much for all of your help.
Nikki

Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Drifting

I changed out the brake master cylindar today, filled up the brake fluid and bleed the lines again. The pedal stil goes all the way to the floor. It seems like it might have gotten a touch better, but it is still not in proper working condition. Does anyone have any suggestions before I fork out close to 400 for a brake booster? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nikki

Old 01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Nikki,
Send me your tele number and a good time to call you.
Mike
mikeljacobs@comcast.net

Old 01-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Would like to know what happen

Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Drifting

As soon as I talk to DiscoMike I will post telling you eveything That was done to fix the problem. Just a follow up, I went to drive up the block like I had been doing and I now have absolutely no brakes. With the pedal all the way and trying to put it in gear, the truck just starts rolling and I had to put the parking brake on in order to put the truck back into park. Hope I can get this fixed with out having to put it in the shop.
Nikki

Quick Reply: Brakes, then no Brakes