Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brand of gas are you guys using? Is shell a good choice for our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:04 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Which brand of gas are you guys using? Is shell a good choice for our trucks?

Ive been doing alot of research on gas brands and Im thinking about switching over from Gulf premium fuel to Shell premium fuel. Any thoughts. Some research suggest all gas is the same, other sources claim that Shell and Exxon were tested as having the highest level of added additives in the fuel which is supposedly good for engines. Ive also read that Shell had a couple problems a couple years ago with bad gas wrecking havoc on cars immediately after fill up. Also read that Shell is responsible for oil spill cover ups in Nigeria. The commercials for Shell gas seem to imply that the company cares about the environment and that their gas is of high quality, and I really like how clean and modern their gas stations look around here.

Im picky about my gas and I always use the same brand of gas which for the last couple years has been Gulf.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have been using Shell for the past two years and Have no problems. If there is not a shell around I will use another Premium Gas Station, such as Exxon or Texaco. I avoid the mom and pop fill ups. I have had bad luck with them in the past.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Any gas from these stations are fine.

Top Tier Gasoline

Originally Posted by TRIARII
The commercials for Shell gas seem to imply that the company cares about the environment
If you are going base your oil company support on their respective environmental morality, buy a bicycle.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In my area a big barge comes into the port with all the base gasoline stock. Additives for different companies are mixed in and trucks sent to those stations. The ECU is doing the math and in some models adjusting the timing on the fly for each cylinder. So you seldom get a fuel knock. At least in some areas it would be difficult to see the difference from one brand to another.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
In my area a big barge comes into the port with all the base gasoline stock. Additives for different companies are mixed in and trucks sent to those stations. The ECU is doing the math and in some models adjusting the timing on the fly for each cylinder. So you seldom get a fuel knock. At least in some areas it would be difficult to see the difference from one brand to another.
+1 all premium petrol conforms to stated norms. Some have additives and some don't but the base ingredients have to be within a given standard (ISO in europe). 40 years ago it was different where some petrol was superior to others but very rare these days only the unknown brands (usually found in 'one dog' towns/roadsides in out of the way places) are usually outside the given standards. I suppose standardisation is one of the benefits the oil industry has given to us over the past 40 years. Maybe I'm a bit biased as I worked in onshore and offshore oil for over half of my working career.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
If you are going base your oil company support on their respective environmental morality, buy a bicycle.
Couldn't agree more.

On that note, I live in Washington State, all gas stations are required to sell gasoline with certain percentage Ethanol. Most are around 10%, there's a few gas stations willing to sell Ethanol Free gasoline and pay the fines, but it's well over $4/Gallon.

We should make the tree-hugging politicians pay for the rebuilds on our gunked up Rover V8's due to all the crap ethanol we're forced to burn.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

An interesting news clip from a couple years ago. Some top name gas brands were tested and Shell was one of the top brands along with Exxon.

I will miss using Gulf brand gas but Im ready to give Shell a try. V-Power for now on

Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been using shell V-Power for about 6 years. When unable to find Shell I use Conaco. I heard from a person at work whose husband drives fuel trucks for the last 15 years. That all the base gas comes from the same refinery. Here in Denver I think it is right off of 274. Then shell probably adds their V-Power magic.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using Costco premium for well over a year.....no issues.

Of the 200 or so fill-ups I've conducted over the 1 1/2 years of ownership, I would say maybe 6 times have I done the 89 octane either at Costco or any other vendor....sometimes even the grocery store (Stop n Shop).

Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

If there's a gas station near me when I'm low, I use it. Use ethanol free if it's available(I have one local station that has it)

Quick Reply: Which brand of gas are you guys using? Is shell a good choice for our trucks?