Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking down a 4.6 L

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@greisinb sent you a PM re lifters

Old 01-09-2021, 06:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Left and Right NON-SAI, heads good shape with valves and springs. Appear to have no warpage.
Full set of 10 ARP studs, nuts, washers and assembly lube

Now added to for sale thread

Old 01-10-2021, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
I'm interested in the lifters, let me know how much you want for them. Hopefully shipping will be less expensive right over the boarder in Washington!
If you re-use those lifters you will also have to use the cam they are mated to. Each lifter has to go back on the same lobe it came off of or it will wipe out the camshaft. Even when swapping a used set of cam/lifters between motors it is a good idea to repeat the break in procedure or you will sometimes still see failures despite getting the lifters back on their correct lobes.

Pushrods can be mixed and matched. I know a lot of folks that keep them in order and I used to as well, but I've not had any issues since switching to throwing them back in wherever.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
If you re-use those lifters you will also have to use the cam they are mated to. Each lifter has to go back on the same lobe it came off of or it will wipe out the camshaft. Even when swapping a used set of cam/lifters between motors it is a good idea to repeat the break in procedure or you will sometimes still see failures despite getting the lifters back on their correct lobes.

Pushrods can be mixed and matched. I know a lot of folks that keep them in order and I used to as well, but I've not had any issues since switching to throwing them back in wherever.
Yeah...this occurred to me a day or two after I bought them, even though I knew better but had a brain fart. I’m hoping my local shop can resurface them so I can use them with a new cam. If not, I’ll chalk it up to a learning experience. Thankfully a not too expensive one.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 PM
Camel Trophy

@greisinb and @Alex_M Actually that is not strictly true,you need to have the lifters checked, and possibly re-surfaced and you need to follow the break in procedure. People do put new lifters on to existing camshafts, part of the problem is it depends on each engine's camshaft/lifter setup.

The absolute biggest issue is you must follow the break in procedure lots guys skimp on this and wipe brand new bits
  1. Brush break in lube on the lobes as well as the lifter bottoms and oil only on the sides of the lifters.
  2. Before you apply break in lube anywhere, use oil on the lifters and make sure they spin freely in the bores. If they do, set everything up for break in.
  3. Add a shot of ZDDP to your oil
  4. Prime the engine before you fire it up and when you start if break it in as if it were a new cam and lifters.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@greisinb and @Alex_M Actually that is not strictly true,you need to have the lifters checked, and possibly re-surfaced and you need to follow the break in procedure. People do put new lifters on to existing camshafts, part of the problem is it depends on each engine's camshaft/lifter setup.

The absolute biggest issue is you must follow the break in procedure lots guys skimp on this and wipe brand new bits
  1. Brush break in lube on the lobes as well as the lifter bottoms and oil only on the sides of the lifters.
  2. Before you apply break in lube anywhere, use oil on the lifters and make sure they spin freely in the bores. If they do, set everything up for break in.
  3. Add a shot of ZDDP to your oil
  4. Prime the engine before you fire it up and when you start if break it in as if it were a new cam and lifters.
If you go through the trouble of having a machine shop regrind lifters, yes you can reuse them. Yes, new lifters on an old cam is ok given the correct procedure. Old (non-resurfaced) lifters on a new cam or old lifters on a different old cam are both a negative. Roller lifters are, of course, excluded from this rule. All of this said, many machine shops will not regrind lifters any more and those that will are sure to cost nearly as much if not more than a new set of lifters which are under $100 for a full set of 16.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:41 PM
Camel Trophy

@Alex_M I guess I forget how lucky I am, we have a drag strip/sports car/bike road and off road and race boat race area all in one. The machine shop here does everything including milling and top hatting, with good rates off season not so much during race season.

I

Old 01-10-2021, 11:30 PM
Camel Trophy

Certainly lucky! Around here half the machine shops are pretty hit or miss on the quality, and I don't know any that would do liners.