Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

britparts springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default britparts springs

Hi, I need a bit of advice. I recently purchased a set of Britparts 2" heavy duty lift springs for my D2. After the install, the springs have given me a solid 3.5...closer to 4" of lift.
Please note these are on my truck with no spare, no rear seat, no roof rack, stock bumper. But even if these settle down I can't see the truck dropping 2.5 inches.

Any advice on these springs? I am installing a roof rack, winch bumper and other heavy stuff in the near future.

I really wouldn't care so much but the truck drives like crap when you get over 50 mph. So this extra 2" is not agreeing with my drive shafts.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like your old shocks were sagging. but to have drive line issues maybe not. what year is your D2? if i were you i would remove the rear shaft, lock the CDL and drive above 50 and see if that solves your vibration issues. if so i would rebuild the rear drive shaft, you need to put a rotoflex conversion in there so you can have the u joint to help out with all that angle you created. what abouts new shocks? your old ones are going to be topping out once you get off road.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

so a few things... your old springs were shot, worn out and had actually lowered your ride height by say 1" maybe 1.5" now you put on NEW heavy duty springs. with no load on them...I bet your shocks regardless of age are not even being used.. You have no compression on the springs to create the "load" needed to bring them inline. at most given the way you are running your truck you should have gotten medium duty at the most. If you decide to keep these springs you will at the least need to get a new rear drive shaft. as the angle is at the limits of its design. and you are more than likely the same for the front. also i would suggest a kidney belt for you and any passenger as the unloaded springs are going to give you the hardest ride you can imagine. off road you will have reduced traction as the weight of the truck cannot compress the springs enough to keep them on the ground. you need to do some research for the weight you run and get springs that will match your needs. without heavy duty front and rear bumpers roof rack extra spare and say oh around 300-450 lbs of gear constantly plus one to two passengers the current config will not work for you.
I have gone thru this... I also have heavyduty springs I have left the heavy in the front as I have an ARB winch basket front bumper but I swapped out the heavy for medium in the back as I am no longer running the needed weight. my ride improved 100% traction is way up the overall handeling is significantly improved as well..
Call justin at Lucky 8 he is a wealth of knowledge and can set you right for ride height and proper spring weight.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM

^ I disagree 1000%. if he plans on putting aftermarket bumpers, and a roof rack he did the right thing with the heavy duty springs. i run a similar setup. i have no back seat i took all the carpeting out. yes it will bust all of your organs out of your body UNLESS you disconnect the anti sway bars in the front and back. they restrict the vertical movement on the extra tall springs you installed, so the ride will be like crap. first thing you need to do is get new shocks, test the rear drive shaft like i said earlier and then remove the sway bars. you will be good to go.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Read my reply on one of your other threads and then get back to me.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default springs

Guys, thanks so much for all your imput. wow, who would do a lift without shocks?? Yes I have new extended shocks, sorry I didn't think I needed to mention that. bit of history:
I had a 3" spacer lift in the truck already and everything drove fine.
I then installed the springs with 1" spacer. This took me up to 4.5" lift. The truck drove like crap after 55mph.
Yesterday I took the 1" spacers out and the truck is back ot 3" with only the coil springs and the tuck is driving much better.

moral of the story: 3" works fine...4" or more doesn't work.

I'm still curious as to how much these springs will settle. a 2" heavy duty spring gave me just over 3" of lift.

Oh and the truck dives great, it's not stiff at all, pretty much the same ride feel as before.

Thanks again for all your help. 6 months into my disco...love it.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM

well yeah. anything over 3" you are going to have all sorts of drive line issues. if you want to put the spacers back in you will need to replace the rear shaft, and get some corrected radius arms and probably new bump stops and perhaps some steering correction sorted.