Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird issue with rear air springs or SLABS - Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue with rear air springs or SLABS - Help please!

I hope someone has seen this problem before:

2000 Disco II SE7

A few weeks ago, the dash lights for ABS, TC, and Hill Descent lit up and stayed on. My local indep. LR repair shop ran the test book and it showed a code for "rough road signal implausible" (in addition to some others that indicated the need for a new O2 sensor, which he replaced). He initially replaced the front drive shaft, but found no damage to the old one. The lights came on again a day later, so we replaced one of the front wheel sensors. A week later the lights again came on, and they are still on. Now, concurrently, I thought I had just a leaky rear air spring. But now I realize that the springs do not lose air in a predictable manner. Sometimes it happens overnight. I find the vehicle "sitting down"... but not everyday. Usually, the springs pick up shortly after the car is started, but not always. Sometimes if I turn it off and restart the engine, it will then rise up. The other day I even lost air shock pressure while I was driving. Is this a fault in the SLABS unit? What would be the best (most economical) way to isolate the faulty component? I would prefer not to have to pay my mechanic to go on an expensive "hunt" for the problem. [sm=dontgetit.gif]BTW, I took a previous recommendation and sprayed soapy water on the air shocks themselves to look for a leak, but nothing appeared. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Weird issue with rear air springs or SLABS - Help please!

I beleive that the pressure sensor/relay is starting to go bad. The intermittent function is what leads me to this beleif. It is a common problem to have weird stuff show up on the disco when the vehicle grounds have a bad contact point. Either corresion, or loose. I don't know exactly where they are on your vehicle. the information should be in the shop manual. Mine has four different ones, not including the battery ground. I was having alot of weird stuff happening and went to the tech section at atlantic british and they had the info. I disconnected the battery, took each ground connection cleaned and tightened the connection. Many problems fixed at once. The rough road implausable fault. the Hill decent could be lighting because of the changes in you air system. The change in angles or vehicle position could trigger the response. That is all I can come up with. I also recommend you check in the tech section here and search. It is a weird situation, and letting a mechanic "shot gun" to try and find the fix is probably not the best solution. It may, and I don't beleive I am saying this have it check by a land rover dealer to see if they can access more information. Hope it helps. gotta love a rover/. duboff

Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still looking for an answer for this after seeing it yesterday. I am going to ask a friend on another board that knows more about the D2's better than I do. Hope I have something for you later on.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, Duboff. I appreciate all the guidance and expertise... and any yet to come, Mike. Perhaps your friend will have some additional insight. (Remember the good old days when you could fix almost anything on a Rover with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers?)

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Rock Crawling

with the rover, I also keep duct tape and bailing wire handy. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldent find anything out, if it were me I would just convert over to the coils anyway, it's much better.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Rock Crawling

I looked and could not find anything even close other than the ideas I gave before. I think mike is right about the change to coils. Easier maintenance, parts less expensive, and less to replace than the ace system if it comes to that. I will continue to look around and get back to you if I find anything. Hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 09-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Overlanding

Well, here is the epilogue on this issue. It turns out the problems were all related to a leaking rear air spring. The bag would leak down and the SLABS computer would go crazy and register "rough road implausible". I replaced the air spring with one from www.arnottindustries.com and she drives like new. Some times it turns out to be simple, and I am not complaining.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I will keep that little bit of knowledge in the bag, and maybe someone will be in need. thanks for the info. that is what makes this a good place for help. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 09-14-2006, 06:00 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: duboff

I will keep that little bit of knowledge in the bag, and maybe someone will be in need. thanks for the info. that is what makes this a good place for help. gotta love a rover. duboff
I don't know what "keeping it in the bag" means but here we are 1 year and four days later and I think I might binifit from this info. My 2001 DiscII se7 has some of the same symptoms. My dash lights for ABS, TC, and Hill Descent have been on for a couple of years. Wonder if I can get away with a spring clip. If I get up under the whel well will I be able to readily see that spring? I had the bags collaps three years ago and fixeed under warranty. If they fail again I'll go to coiuls. I have never had anyone sit back there in seats 6 and 7 and probably never will.
Does anyone know if this issue could be related to handeling / control of the vehicle? What is happenning is there are a few roads that cause my steering / control of the vehicle to profoundly diminnish. I mean very few roads and I mean really loose control. In fact I was driving down HWY 98 in Destin Florida in Sept 2005, fought to keep the SUV on the road, and never had that problemm agin till sept 2006 on same Hwy 98. I have to buy new shorts and pants everytime this happens. I think this stretch of road has a double concave design that may make it unique. Thanks in advance for any ideas

love (but not like that)

tom

2001 Discovery se7