Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Fan, 200 miles from home base

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Fan, 200 miles from home base

(This is double posted on DWeb, normally wouldn't do that but being away from home kinda forces it.)

Just drove up to LA from SD to pick up a client/cousin. Spent all freaking day getting the baja off the truck so it would be presentable, 5 miles from the airport I hear a rattle that sounds like a credit card in a bike spoke.

I ripped off the fan shroud in the airport parking lot and found a chuck the size of my pinkie from the last knuckle to the tip of finger has broken off one of the blades near the center of the fan on the side facing the engine.

No other blade was touched, and that blade doesn't seem to be further compromised. No cracks or chips.

It rattles pretty good at low idle, but at 45mph you can't tell. The bottom of the fan shroud isn't attached, so I think it's the wobble of the off ballance fan causing the bottom portion of the shroud to vibrate. Drove the truck from the Airport to Sunset with no cooling issues only an embarrassing sound.

What to do? I've got a full set of tools, minus that freaking fan removal tool.

How bad is driving another 200 miles on an unbalanced fan?

Anyone know where to source a fan on short notice and how tough that job would be to do?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not sure of your level of knowledge but a few thoughts can't hurt.

I don't know how bad driving with an unbalanced fan is. But it can damage waterpump

Im also call autostores and even land rover dealers on the way back to get a fan.

If all else fails and your sure you wont stop, you can problably run without the fan...

Just dont stop..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

replace the chunk with jb weld. replacing the fan is not terrible but you will need a 36mm wrench.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

That was one of my first thoughts also: secure the fan with sting, pantyhose, etc so it doesn't spin. As long as it isn't torqued off kilter, I think damage to the clutch and water pump would be minimal. Don't stop, or shut off the engine when not moving. Better than having the fan disintegrate and shards cutting through coolant hoses and what not.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Mudding

I'm not sure balancing the fan with JB is possible. JB is likely heavier than the plastic so it'd be nearly impossible.

Securing the fan with pantyhose? I don't think it's an optional spin cycle.

Best thing is to rent a car and not risk ruining my water pump, which Spencer pointed out. However, I want someone to say, you are good for 300 miles. Do your crap and get home, then deal with it.

Sigh.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Full set of tools? Just remove the fan. Depending on the ambient temp you should be ok if you keep moving.

Another option is described here: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=15
But to do that you'll need access to a shop where you can use a grinder.
People have had their radiators trashed when the plastic fan broke which is why I went that route.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Mudding

I'm in LA, so keeping moving isn't always doable. You could easily spend 30 minutes parked on the 5.

But re-balancing the fan. That's an idea. I've got a file, but a dremel would be the only realistic way to get it done.