Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken header to y pipe studs... FML

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Broken header to y pipe studs... FML

While removing my y pipe to swap in a CDL transfer case I've managed to break almost every stud on the headers to y pipe connection. I'm thinking I might have to pull the headers, drill out the old studs, tap the hole, and install some new exhaust studs. I don't really want to pull the headers though as I'm sure I will break more studs. do I have any options for a fix without removing the headers?

Edit: did some research and realized that the studs are not welded on but screwed in . New studs are ordered and sadly 4x4 trip with the boys this weekend is canceled.

Last edited by Tumbler; 07-28-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tumbler
While removing my y pipe to swap in a CDL transfer case I've managed to break almost every stud on the headers to y pipe connection. I'm thinking I might have to pull the headers, drill out the old studs, tap the hole, and install some new exhaust studs. I don't really want to pull the headers though as I'm sure I will break more studs. do I have any options for a fix without removing the headers?

Edit: did some research and realized that the studs are not welded on but screwed in . New studs are ordered and sadly 4x4 trip with the boys this weekend is canceled.
it'll be much easier to pull them to drill them out. The passenger side especially if very tight. I could barely get my ratchet around it let alone a drill.. order up some new bolts, gaskets, and spacers if your bolts and spacers are rusted out. be sure to torque them twice according to rave and in the sequence they suggest. the manifold will be heat hardened, so it may be necessary to weld a bolt head to the stud to try to remove them, or if you drill them out, you might need to weld in the new studs. That's what my mechanic had to do on mine on my recent head gasket job--weld them in.

New manifolds can be found but are $400 each. used ones can be found under $100, but might have the same scenario.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Pull the headers. get correct hardened shorty impact 12pt with flex joint. If you can't remove old studs, get a set of used BUT LOOK CLOSELY at the pics before you buy. Look for good threads on studs and not completely rusted thinned stud shafts. Why? so that you can remove the old studs and put in correct size stainless studs. I did a write up on this somewhere in 'XRAD'S disco 2' thread....

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (07-30-2021)