Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

exhaust flange bolt that connects pipe to the manifold snapped for me

Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking exhaust flange bolt that connects pipe to the manifold snapped for me

exhaust flange bolt that connects pipe to the manifold snapped for me. I was doing a transmission filter change, (for some reason you need to remove some of the exhaust for the pan to drop) and the bolt that secures the pipe to the exhaust manifold broke off. I think it's because I'm so strong lol. anyway should have used PB blaster. Should i drill it out and replace it or is there a way to spin it out. The stud is what broke but it's flush with the hole.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

What I did was remove the manifold, drilled a hole in the center, heated the whole area with torch, then used a easy out to remove it. I had to keep the area red hot for it to come out. There is an Land Rover Indy shop near, that charges 125.00 for exhaust manifold with new studs and nuts. We broke 2 studs while we were installing new y-pipe on sons D2, and he went and bought the pipe, while I removed the studs, now we have a spare. We installed the nuts with anti-seize.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Depends upon how accessible and as suggested it's better to do when manifold removed. Not likely to spin out if broken. An easy out might work. Mine was missing two studs and had no noticeable exhaust leak. You may want to consider putting back together as is and address it later if not leaking.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 PM
Winching

ok thanks for the great idea removing the manifold would make drilling the hole way easier. plus that gives me a chance to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. thanks

Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Winching

thats true it already has too studs in it. For a total of three .It probably wont leak. seems shady but it just might work.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mr4x4
ok thanks for the great idea removing the manifold would make drilling the hole way easier. plus that gives me a chance to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. thanks
The right way to address.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Winching

i guess i just have to wait till Saturday as ill be working all week. ill update the forum with pictures hopefully of a new stud in place of a drilled out one. But possibly only 2 out of 3 bolts.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I went ahead and purchased this set, for future use.
just a heads up for you, if you can't get to it until sat, might be able to get a set by then.
6 Pcs Exhaust Manifold Studs Nuts to Fit Range Rover DISCOVERY1 2 Defender | eBay

Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I went ahead and purchased this set, for future use.
just a heads up for you, if you can't get to it until sat, might be able to get a set by then.
6 Pcs Exhaust Manifold Studs Nuts to Fit Range Rover DISCOVERY1 2 Defender | eBay
Thanks so much for looking that up for me. Glad to know they make and sell them. I think the size is m8x25 according to another forum thread. I'll go ahead and purchase one of those and tell you guys how it goes. Thanks for all the help. This is the best forum ever.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going to urge caution using the easy-out, had a lot of bad luck snapping them off and then you have to deal with drilling out a very hard piece of easy-out. What a nightmare that is. If you get the initial punch close to the center,and are meticulous with keeping straight with the first hole, and drill with a very small bit to start, and use small increments as you go up in size all should be well, with lots of cutting oil.

I'd be tempted to leave it alone, double up on the flange gaskets, and hope for the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust flange bolt that connects pipe to the manifold snapped for me